1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
I am a structural engineer of 20 years working in the bridge and heavy construction industry. I create designs for platforms, shoring towers, lifting devices, formwork, crane foundations, etc. Pretty much anything the field needs to do complex structural work. My design calculations need to be simple and easy to follow by other engineers but I do not need to take months to get them to a level of pristine publishable academic quality. Although I create drawings that regular field crews must be able to understand for their own safety, calculations only get circulated amongst other engineers and on rare occasions to non-technical managers and staff.
2. What version of Mathcad are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Filenames can be quite long and PTC acknowledges it by splitting long filenames into multiple lines when you use the "Include Worksheet" command.
But a long filename does cannot be broken into multiple lines when using the READEXCEL() function (or any long string for that matter). See this example how I have to reduce the text size so small that it is hard to read:
I understand that is is part of a formula and those have special rules. But I have no control over my file locations when they are in shared folder locations.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
Every engineer in my organization—and the WORLD—would benefit.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?