cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Tables set globally

Tables set globally

Prime 8.0.0.0

The user should be able to set an input table as global.  In other words, an input table could be defined later on or at the end of the document but the data would be available for the entire document. 

The only way to accomplish that now is by defining individual global variables with arrays.  However, especially when line spacing of arrays is not equal due to the data, or for long tables (more than a page), individual arrays are unruly.

This is useful when the data table is mostly filled with unneeded information, like these working load limit tables for different sized coil rods (commonly used in concrete formwork btw).  (I put a 'globally defines table' notice on the table, just to see what it would look like, only a suggestion)

SP_4753520_0-1652721658355.png

It's not long enough that I have it in a separate included file, but it's long enough that it would be better to be at the end of the document (it's only reference data).  I could simply just enter the specific data for a rod size when I needed it for a calculation, but then I loose the whole functionality of making a reusable calculation sheet where I don't have to run to some external catalog every time I need a bit of data.

Thank you for this consideration

8 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hello @SPauliszyn,
Thank you for your idea and the information provided. I would recommend you still give some contextual info and details according to the form you saw in the process. 

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
2. What product & version are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

SPauliszyn
11-Garnet

@olivierlp I will fill in the questions I missed but I don't see how this information could be relevant for this suggestion.  Do the user suggestions get graded on how it might impact the organization that we work for, the organization that paid for the licenses?

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.

I am a structural engineer of 20 years working in the bridge and heavy construction field.  I create designs for platforms, shoring towers, lifting devices, formwork, crane foundations, etc.  Pretty much anything the field needs to do complex structural work.  My design calculations need to be simple and easy to follow by other engineers but I do not need to take months to get them to a level of pristine publishable quality.  Although I create drawings that regular field crews must be able to understand for their own safety, calculations only get circulated amongst other engineers and on rare occasions to non-technical managers and staff.  

4. What is the use case for your organization?

To be honest, this is not my organization's initiative, nor do they care.  I am talking about a concept more generic and wide reaching.  This might eventually be used in my organization, but I am trying to take initiative and finding possible areas of improvement (even if it means improvement for everyone else before us).

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

Minimal, this is not their initiative.  I am representing structural engineering, although not many engineers come up with these ideas or are aware that they can actually make a feature suggestion/request (or even care--they have bigger fish to fry).  They just try to use the software that is mandated by the company as best as they can.

SPauliszyn
11-Garnet

By the way, in my example shown, I would not keep the bar diameters as a ratio, I would put in the decimal fractions.  I might just add a column with the text versions (eg, "9/16" ) when the decimal fraction is not as readily recognizable.  I can do a lot of things to force the output arrays to look good, but it is time consuming and is not practical for most situations.

olivierlp
Community Manager

Thanks for these details, @SPauliszyn. Product managers always have a limited amount of resources to dedicate to enhancements on the roadmap. It is a ruthless exercise or prioritization where they evaluate not just the merit of a technical enhancement but also its business value in the users' context. 

SPauliszyn
11-Garnet

@olivierlp So do your developers only put out the fires for your bigger clients?  Or do you 'sometimes' accept isolated user suggestions apart from specific company impacts because they are reasonable, right and possibly exciting?

In general, your statement has made me very discouraged.  I feel that the your policy is telling me that I better not hold my breath because I cannot put in impact value to my suggestions and that I will only be getting a nice "Thank you for your suggestion" and that's the end of it.  Our engineering group is a small fish but probably so are most of your customers anyway.  Nonetheless it's hard for me to quantify the impact of any of the suggestions I have made because I have ASD thinking and I just know intuitively that the suggestions would be farther reaching than my own company's immediate needs, if only given the chance. 

So, should I continue making these types of suggestions and improvement ideas?

BTW, if you have noticed that I've made a large number of contributions over only a few days, is because I have been using Mathcad for about a year now and I have come up to the limits of how Mathcad can do/display certain math that I require (as expressed in those posts).  So I have been building up a huge number of suggestions and only now found out how I can share them.  I'm not a mathematician nor a research engineer so I won't be chasing down differential equations and complex stuff like that.  Not even matrix calculations because we use structural software packages for that kind of analysis.  The type of stuff I am chasing down has to do with simplifying, beautifying, and automating the many simpler calculations that we structural engineers make on a regular basis, without having to jump over to Excel as much 😉

olivierlp
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I understand the "head scratching"... One of the missions of the Community is to collect ideas for enhancements such as yours. And I do hope you'll share your other product ideas.

I am told that there are MANY great ideas here that would benefit many types of clients, big and small.

As Community managers, we cannot guaranty that the PM team will implement one or the other. I can't speak to the selection criteria for the PMs. I only know that there are numerous considerations. They must make tough choices under resource constrains. They often have to choose idea X instead of other excellent ideas. Making the best case possible on the Community helps to make these choices.

I'd encourage you to look at this post, that talks about how PTC Product managers work with ideas.  

SPauliszyn
11-Garnet

Ah… very well.  Thanks for the kind response @olivierlp, and the link.  I need to be patient, I'm too anxious since I feel like my ideas are the best idea since the invention of the bread slicer;)  

olivierlp
Community Manager

I feel the same about my own ideas! 😀