cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MathCAD Prime will not run anymore

LT_8457619
4-Participant

MathCAD Prime will not run anymore

Recently I have been having an issue where MathCAD Prime will nto run on my PC anymore. It loads the splash screen and then nothing happens afterwards. Looking at the task manager, a PTC MathCAD process begins but disappears when the splash screen disappears.

I have followed the steps in the other relevant forum posts (below) and contacted PTC technical support for help with this issue but the only fix was to completely reinstall windows. Uninstall/Reinstall does not help, nor does copying config files from a PC where the software is still working. Compatibility mode does not help either.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Installation/Prime-4-0-does-not-run-anymore/m-p/803946

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Installation/Mathcad-Prime-does-not-launch-after-the-initial-splash-on/m-p/729884

Now, 2 months later the same issue is happening again. There are no other issues with my computer, everything else runs fine except MathCAD Prime. It does not matter whether it is Prime 8 or 7. 

I was running Windows 10, but since the issue cropped up again I updated to Windows 11 and the issue persists. 

I should not have to reinstall Windows to fix this issue. Has anyone else found a fix for this issue or a way to identify which windows update is causing the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LT_8457619
4-Participant
(To:LT_8457619)

I finally got a solution!!

It turns out that a different software that I had installed came with a font pack that contained 2 fonts with nearly identical names. MathCAD must parse the windows fonts folder during startup and was returning an error because the names were so similar.

As soon as I deleted one of the fonts, MathCAD Prime launched without issue.

duplicate fonts.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Quote: "PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0.0.0 is certified to run on the newest Windows operating system, Windows 11 (version 21H2)" - https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS365353

LT_8457619
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks for the post VladimirN, but the issue started when I was running Windows 10. I had resinstalled Windows 10 once and MAthCAD started working again once I installed it, but after a couple of months it will not launch again. I upgraded to Windows 11 hoping that it might help but it has not.

I don't want to have to perform a clean install again because every other program is working perfectly.

Try the following:

• 1. Create a backup (or just archive) of the config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
  • 2. Delete the current config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
  • 3. Run Mathcad Prime again.

P.S. Another one: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS277907

LT_8457619
4-Participant

I have deleted the config file directory many times now and have even tried to sub in config files from PCs with the software working normally. There is no effect on the issue.

I have also installed the windows hotfix in the PTC support article link above. Again, no effect.

I have sent event logs from when I try to start the software to PTC support to see if they can diagnose the issue.

Let us know how they manage to resolve this issue.

LT_8457619
4-Participant

There is still no solution. They are recommending that I reinstall my OS again. I shouldn't have to do that every couple of months, there are no other issues with my PC other than MathCAD not running.

Did you install the program in the default path?

LT_8457619
4-Participant
(To:LT_8457619)

I finally got a solution!!

It turns out that a different software that I had installed came with a font pack that contained 2 fonts with nearly identical names. MathCAD must parse the windows fonts folder during startup and was returning an error because the names were so similar.

As soon as I deleted one of the fonts, MathCAD Prime launched without issue.

duplicate fonts.png

Top Tags