cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Migrate Prime 4 and MathCAD 15 to new computer

HM_10279559
5-Regular Member

Migrate Prime 4 and MathCAD 15 to new computer

I purchased the educational MathCAD Prime 4.0 with MathCAD 15 in 2017. The software combination is currently accessible and usable from my old computer which has some case deterioration issues. I have purchased a new computer and wish to use the software combination from this new computer.

After installing the software on my new computer, I followed the process on the inside of the CD case to acquire the new license and was met with the message that the Program ID already expired. I followed the link which brought me to this page.

I have MathCAD 15 files from versions 2-15 arising from an academic career and would like access to them, and, certainly, I'd like to migrate many into the Prime environment. The combination of Prime 4.0 and MathCAD 15 both resident on my hard drive is necessary to enable this migration.

I read from the PTC Community that PTC's product manager has committed to honor all existing licenses - that which came with my purchase is a perpetual license. I believe that PTC has the capacity to resolve this issue with my license.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HM_10279559
5-Regular Member
(To:HM_10279559)

Thanks to Andy McGough (and the PTC team) for shepherding the process to get the license acquisition tool fixed.  I was able to generate my licenses for Prime 4.0 and MathCAD 15 using the activate license tool from Prime 4.  My original product code is good now and into the future. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Try this tips:

HM_10279559
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

I am unable to send this reply directly from my personal account as the Mail app is tied to my soon-to-be disabled email account through the MinnState system. I have cc’d my personal account to which the original email was sent.

The second solution below would be applicable to my case.

[cid:image004.png@01D85F8A.AC025830]

I navigated to the link, entered the product information and product key and received this message.

[cid:image005.png@01D85F8A.AC025830]

I am not attempting to re-license a trial program. I am attempting to migrate Prime 4.0 and MathCAD 15 from an old computer to a new computer. Both items of software are functional on the old computer – I have a current license for the software. I simply need to move that license to a new computer.

There must be a way.

Henry Mott

Henry,

1. There are no attached pictures in your message.

2. Here is a "Customer Support Guide":
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/csguide/Licensing/Modify_License_Configuration 
https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/lm/index.jsp 

HM_10279559
5-Regular Member

I have been at this for two months now.  I purchased educational Prime 4.0 with MathCAD 15 in 2017 through student discounts.  I currently have both programs operative on an old computer that has a case that's falling apart - the license is perpetual. 

I have the CD (and case) and I have the email from Student Discounts with a record of the purchase.  As I was a member of the St. Cloud State University Faculty until January of this year, PTC support assumed that I was licensed through SCSU - that is not the case - some confusion resulted. 

Amit Deshpande was the first support tech person with whom I communicated.  He passed my case off to Vlad Mihaela who has attempted to assist me in licensing.  Most recently Vlad requested that I furnish him a copy of my purchase as that might help in securing the license - I have furnished that to him via email. 

When I enter my product code into the licensing configuration tool (mentioned in the post to which I am replying) I simply get the message that the product is no longer available.  I do not have the credentials to enter the appservers support - that would not be consistent with a single user educational license. 

I just want to migrate my Prime 4.0 and, especially my MathCAD 15 to my new computer.  Andrew McGough made a commitment that PTC would honor all existing licenses post discontinuation of sale of any MathCAD products older than Prime 7.  I want PTC to honor that commitment. 

@amcgough @DJNewman @Harry_Seth Please take a look.

HM_10279559
5-Regular Member

Please tell me what, specifically, I am supposed to look at?  When I attempt to use my product code to activate my perpetual license on my new computer I get the message that my trial software is no longer available.  I did not purchase trial software - I purchased a perpetual license to use the educational Prime 4.0 and MathCAD 15.

When I go to a case logger - I simply get referred to "the Community".  I do not have the credentials to enter the license management system.

Simply telling me to "take a look" is sending me to the haystack looking for the needle. 

I have a simple issue to which the solution is to honor the perpetual license for the student version of the software that I purchased and to allow me to migrate the software to my new computer (and subsequent new computers) using the "activate license" process from Prime 4.0 and then to ensure that the MathCAD 15 can use the license file as described in the instructions on the inside of my CD case. 

He tagged three PTC employees to take a look at your case, of which I'm one of them, but I'm also the one who doesn't actually have powers to solve your problem.

But I'll annoy Andy on your behalf.

Edit: We're digging into it. Please continue your patience!

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

@HM_10279559 @VladimirN @DJNewman ,

Hey @HM_10279559 ,

Let me have one of my engineers connect with you and understand the issue and guide you accordingly.

Regarding connecting with License management, please check this link - https://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterSingleUser.htm

( https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Tips/Transferring-Mathcad-Single-User-or-Student-license-from-an/m-p/794374#M228 )

Thanks,

Harry

**#Edited my response with the link to a community article **

HM_10279559
5-Regular Member
(To:HM_10279559)

Thanks to Andy McGough (and the PTC team) for shepherding the process to get the license acquisition tool fixed.  I was able to generate my licenses for Prime 4.0 and MathCAD 15 using the activate license tool from Prime 4.  My original product code is good now and into the future. 

Top Tags