cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Need access to older Mathcad files via conversion in Prime 8.0

TR_10390858
2-Guest

Need access to older Mathcad files via conversion in Prime 8.0

Over the years I used most versions of Mathsoft's Mathcad versions from the 1990's to 2017 (probably using Mathcad 14/15), when I retired.
I have many legacy files from Mathcad 14/15 which I would like to convert using Mathcad Prime 8.0.
However, after I installed and start the Prime 8.0 trial version, I selected the convert MCD/MCDX (which I had selected during installation) and loaded an old file into it (which was recognised as Mathcad 14/15), it is quickly flagged as 'No License' and conversion halts.
Why is this? I no longer have access to older versions of Mathcad, which is why I hope to eventually purchase a full single user Prime 8.0 license
so I can convert and continue using some if not all of my old files. I was hoping that the 15-day trial would give me a chance to see how successful conversion might be. Is there a solution?
Please reply As soon as possible.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Did you follow this step by step guide? "How to Acquire 30 days License for Mathcad Prime 7.0?": https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Installation/How-to-Acquire-30-days-License-for-Mathcad-Prime-7-0/m-p/721613#M413

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ppal
17-Peridot
(To:TR_10390858)

Are you running it in trial license mode or is it running in the express version?

If your files are not too sensitive you could upload one for trail conversion by the forum members.

Thank you for your reply. As far as I am aware, I am in the the trial running mode. The converter is available and opens from the menu bar. As I said in my original post, the dreaded 'No License' appears after a file is loaded into it. Until I know if it is worth buying a full license, I need to determine and be convinced that it will be worth it, as I have loads of unusable legacy stuff to build on and accessing them is my only concern at the moment. Best regards TonyR. P.s. It would be informative If I knew to which license Prime is referring. All I have is a single user Mathcad 11 CD with license (paid for years ago) with a previous Mathcad 2000i license number to go with it, but no licence file, because that was obviously tailored to a particular machine, and the file and the machine are long gone.

Did you follow this step by step guide? "How to Acquire 30 days License for Mathcad Prime 7.0?": https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Installation/How-to-Acquire-30-days-License-for-Mathcad-Prime-7-0/m-p/721613#M413

Hi.

when I initially installed and started Prime 8.0, it opened directly, with no license wizard.

I went back to the install folder and noticed a License wizard .exe, which I started directly as administrator and things proceded thereafter as expected, thanks. A trial convert has worked on a Mathcad 11 file, so I hope to be able to now tweak the converted version to correct for some folder jumbling in include files requested by the original and converted .MCDX file and get it up and running on Prime 8.0.

Thanks for your help. I am a very happy person ATM.!😁😥

best regards

TonyR

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:TR_10390858)

You had installed Prime 8 and it worked, in Express mode. Obtaining the (trial) license put it in full mode that lasts until the end of the trial period (30 days). At that moment Prime will revert to Express mode, which means no more conversion, symbolics, programming, solve blocks and important premium feature functions such as mean(), Re() and Im()...

"...single user Mathcad 11 CD with license (paid for years ago) with a previous Mathcad 2000i license number to go with it, but no licence file, because that was obviously tailored to a particular machine, and the file and the machine are long gone."

That Mathcad 11 single-user was licensed using Cdilla, a system that does not work under a 64-bit OS (most common as of windows 10). You cannot make that Mathcad 11 working on any machine anymore since PTC shut down the server to provide the Cdilla licensing.

Apart from converting the .MCD files to .MCDX files, Prime 8, while in full mode will also allow to create an html file of your Mathcad 11 sheet, showing the calculation results for the numerical calculations as performed by Prime (NOT those by Mathcad 11) as demonstrated by

This Mathcad 11 file:

LucMeekes_0-1661173660835.png

Results in this html output by Prime 8's built in converter:

LucMeekes_1-1661173705981.png

Notice:

1. NO symbolic results. You should also realise that the symbolic engine of Prime8 is completely different from that of Mathcad 11.

2. Numerical results according to Prime's numerical processor (Mathcad 11's numerical result of the Heaviside step function at 0 is 1, while Prime sets it to 1/2).

Once converted to Prime8 and encouraged to finally calculate the symbolic results, this comes up:

LucMeekes_2-1661174315985.png

Prime doesn't know the laplace() function (which is an undocumented feature of Mathcad 11).

Success!
Luc

Hi,

Starting from the 7th version of Mathcad Prime you can use the built-in converter (before the installation process, it is necessary to select it among the installation components).

Pic_1.png

Top Tags