cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Internal Precision of Variables in Mathcad Prime 2.0

pisaza
1-Newbie

Internal Precision of Variables in Mathcad Prime 2.0

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what internal precision (i.e., how many signficant digits) Mathcad Prime 2.0 carries when a variable is defined. I know that in the Math Formatting tab of the program, the user can change the display precision (up to 16 sig digits). However, once this regions is highlighted it specifically says that changing the display precision does not change the internal precision of the calculation. This to me suggest that the internal precision and the display precision are not "related". I guess the second part of my question (which depends on the answer to that above) is, can the internal precision of variables in Mathcad Prime 2.0 be changed to carry more significant digits?

Thanks a million!

Pedro

2 REPLIES 2
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:pisaza)

Hi Pedro,

To the best of my knowledge, Mathcad implements standard I EEG 64-bit double precision arithmetic, which limits the decimal precision to about 16. There are no switches, AFAIK, to improve this.

However, if you want more precision, you can use the symbolic processor (if it's present in Prime 2 ... can't remember if it is our isn't, but you should have a copy of Mathcad 15 with Prime and is definitely available in that). The symbolic processor has arbitrary precision. Alternatively, you can write your own functions to extend the precision.

Stuart

Top Tags