cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

A horrible message .....

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

A horrible message .....

Hi All,

I have created, for a long time, a file that has grown more and more. Currently the size is 19MB.

For some time, when I save it, I find the attached deadly message ...... If I save the file it will reset 0MB ..... How to determine the cause?

Thank you.

errore 26092018.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:-MFra-)

It's PTC's problem, let them solve it, use the mail to support and maybe they will help you.

If you cannot send them the file, you'll have to dig into the file yourself. Note that a Prime sheet file is in fact an archive.

If you (use windows file explorere to) copy it to another file with extension .zip, you'll be able to open it and see what's inside.

One of the contained files is an xml file that holds the actual worksheet contents. That's where the digging starts...

All this is hopeless if you only have a .mcdx sheet file of 0 MB (or GB or whatever) because then your sheet is really lost. So I hope you have a backup..

Success!

Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:LucMeekes)

I'm sorry, the file was made with Mahcad 15. And then, I should send all my work to who knows who?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

That's what I said... If you cannot (or want not) send your file to support, you have to dig yourself.

A mathcad 15 file is (also) an XML file. Delete the second half of the file and see if that leaves you with a well-behaving first half. If it does, repeat with the last quarter..... etc. Until you pinpoint a small enough fraction that you can delete and later repair.

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:LucMeekes)

Fortunately I had made some copies of the file, then corrupted. In fact, I am following this procedure:I have created a new file then in the old file I select and copy a small part from the beginning, I paste it in the new one and save it with a new name. then I open it again, and so on until I have found the cause of the mistake, copying another small part of the old one. However, to copy 19Mb a bit at a time,  takes a lot of time and effort ............ so I wanted to know if anyone knew a quicker and smarter method. Your suggestion is equivalent to my method.

AndyWesterman
4-Participant

As I encountered a similar message yesterday:

help.PNG 

I would be very interested to hear of any reasons why it has started to happen.

I was editing a worksheet that has worked for a number of years, it hasn't been looked at in the last 6 months & now it caused this error.

the file is a mere 1.7MB, small compared to the original post message.

Even worse: although it says that you can cancel , as the new file would be corrupt & be unreadable, the original file was still erased - file size 0 bytes.

Fortunately I had only put a couple of hours editing the content to suit the new circuit so it wasn't too difficult to reproduce. Just time consuming and annoying.

The second iteration seems to have been successful and not cr**hed; yet (don't want to jinx it...).

I am saving multiple back-up copies  to ensure that I don't loose everything again.

Have any other users encountered a similar fail?

My concern is that one of the Microsoft security updates for the required software environment have had an unintended consequence.

Regards

Andy

{Since the company that I work for doesn't have current maintenance I doubt that I could get any answer from PTC customer support}

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi All,

The cause of this horrible message, perhaps, is the presence in the main and in some reference files of definitions of indices and variables with the same names even if different definition intervals.

Top Tags