cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Backward compatibility of Mathcad15 files with Prime

BE_1415122
1-Newbie

Backward compatibility of Mathcad15 files with Prime

Is PTC planning to offer in future versions of Prime backward compatibility with files created with Matcad 15?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PTC Mathcad Prime in its latest version (9) does not cover every bit of functionality that Mathcad 15 had, though Prime 9 fills in several gaps that Prime 8 did not. That means that if your legacy Mathcad worksheet used those features that Prime doesn't have, the converted worksheet will need some manual rework.

We have a comparison chart of Prime 8's features versus Mathcad 15's here: https://www.mathcad.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/Mathcad/Mathcad-Prime-8-vs-Mathcad-15-comparison-chart-en.pdf

Next week (March 14 is when PTC marketing will formally announce that Mathcad Prime 9 is out), we'll publish an updated chart of Mathcad Prime 9 vs. Mathcad 15.

If there is a particular feature in Mathcad 15 that you used that PTC needs to prioritise for an upcoming release of Mathcad Prime, please vote those ideas up on the Mathcad Ideas board. We are also hosting a webinar with the Mathcad product manager, Andy McGough, on April 4, and we'll have Live Q&A. That's another opportunity to let the folks who make decisions directly what you want. PTC is aware of the missing gaps, but your feedback is helpful in prioritising which gaps get closed sooner.

Note that Scripted Controls is slated to be the big priority for Mathcad Prime 10.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BE_1415122)

New features of the Prime series would not be understood by the core 15 code.

MathCAD  and MathCAD Prime prior to release 6 can no longer be sold, so there is no incentive for PTC do this is.

I would venture to say that this will not happen.

@BE_1415122 wrote:

Is PTC planning to offer in future versions of Prime backward compatibility with files created with Matcad 15?

Depends on what you mean by "backward compatibility".

If this means that Prime will be able to read files created with real Mathcad, then this as I guess will never be implemented. PTC rather suggests that you use the built-in converter, convert the MC15 to Prime format which then can be read in.

If backward compatibility means that all converted files will actually work OK without having to resort to workarounds and much manual rework, that Prime finally will support all features available in old Mathcad ... PTC promises and promises and promises ....

And if you mean that Prime will ever be able to save in a format so MC15 can read it ... this sure will never happen. MC15 is not for sale anymore and PTC does not make any money with it anymore.

I understand that the so-called “conversion” cannot be automated. Is that right?

You can multi-select and convert many worksheets at a time with Mathcad Prime's convertor tool.

You should still go into those worksheets post-conversion and see if any of the notices/annotations provided are problematic.

I'm not sure what amount of automation you expect otherwise.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

If the conversion cannot be automated, I am afraid that not all functionality of Mathcad15 is covered by Prime. Is that true?

PTC Mathcad Prime in its latest version (9) does not cover every bit of functionality that Mathcad 15 had, though Prime 9 fills in several gaps that Prime 8 did not. That means that if your legacy Mathcad worksheet used those features that Prime doesn't have, the converted worksheet will need some manual rework.

We have a comparison chart of Prime 8's features versus Mathcad 15's here: https://www.mathcad.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/Mathcad/Mathcad-Prime-8-vs-Mathcad-15-comparison-chart-en.pdf

Next week (March 14 is when PTC marketing will formally announce that Mathcad Prime 9 is out), we'll publish an updated chart of Mathcad Prime 9 vs. Mathcad 15.

If there is a particular feature in Mathcad 15 that you used that PTC needs to prioritise for an upcoming release of Mathcad Prime, please vote those ideas up on the Mathcad Ideas board. We are also hosting a webinar with the Mathcad product manager, Andy McGough, on April 4, and we'll have Live Q&A. That's another opportunity to let the folks who make decisions directly what you want. PTC is aware of the missing gaps, but your feedback is helpful in prioritising which gaps get closed sooner.

Note that Scripted Controls is slated to be the big priority for Mathcad Prime 10.

Top Tags