cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Best PC for running Prime ?

GeoffD
13-Aquamarine

Best PC for running Prime ?

I am thinking of upgrading my Alien 17 R4 laptop  (intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820Hk CPU  2.9GHz, 32GB RAM ). I would appreciate any thoughts, guidance or recent experience on selecting a  laptop/desktop PC  suitable for running parallel instances of Prime - where each instance is running a large numerically intensive programme. 

Many thanks

GeoffD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:GeoffD)

That would be the PC with the most CPU-cores, the highest CPU clock rate AND the largest amount of RAM memory.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GeoffD
13-Aquamarine
(To:ppal)

Thanks for the quick reply. My quest is to identify which PC is the most powerful, and most suited, to running complex, heavy-duty, memory-intensive Prime worksheets.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:GeoffD)

That would be the PC with the most CPU-cores, the highest CPU clock rate AND the largest amount of RAM memory.

Success!
Luc

GeoffD
13-Aquamarine
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks, Luc for the advice.

It would be good to hear of any domain-specific experience, where Prime's performance on specific machine configurations might have been benchmarked.  The way that Prime operates might not be able to fully leverage a machine with the best of the best - giving no better response than a lesser-grade/cheaper machine.

Regards

GeoffD

GeoffD
13-Aquamarine
(To:LucMeekes)

After agonizing over the different processor options and without finding any metrics on Prime's performance on different machines, I ended up doing pretty much what you suggested - Success 🙂

Top Tags