cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Can't install Mathcad prime 3.1 express : "You have reached the maximum number available for you product type"

elechasseur
1-Newbie

Can't install Mathcad prime 3.1 express : "You have reached the maximum number available for you product type"

I just reinstalled windows on my PC to fix a virus problem and when I tried to install Mathcad, I got the message : "You have reached the maximum number available for you product type". I tried creating a new accounts but got the same message every time.

I have used a difference account on every computer I've installed this, so I don't really understand what is going on here.

normally I would contact support with this kind of problem but they PTC doesn't give support to non-paying customers  (page tells me I have  Insufficient Privileges)

Can anyone here help me with this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree with Werner.  Please clarify when the error occurs.  You should be able to install Prime 3.1, but it makes sense that you might not be able to register a license for it (if you have already used the 30 day trial & have not paid for a license).  Note that the installer will want you to run the license wizard as part of the installation steps, but I believe you can skip that step.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:elechasseur)

If you're a 'non-paying customer' you may be a shop-lifter. No wonder PTC will give you no support.

But seriously: Assuming your license of Prime was paid for, a limited number of installs is allowed, usually on the same computer (generally identified by its network card MAC address). So now it seems you've reached the limit.

I suggest you call PTC (use the phone, not the web site) and explain the situation.

Success!

Luc

Non-paying customer may also mean that you are using an educational license (then someone else had paid for you). As far as I know there is a separate support page for edu licenses and there also used to be a separate one for installation problems. Can't recall the contact data, though. Vladimir usually is quite good in providing those informations - maybe he can jump in.

And for the next time you should remember to save your license file before you reinstall. As long as you stay on the same machine (better: a machine with a primary network card with the same MAC) this license file will still be valid.

Its a good idea to save that file at a secure place as soon as you have installed, anyway.

EDIT: I just noticed that the topic says Prime EXPRESS. That explains the "non-paying" part 😉 I am not sure if phone support will be able to help, but you may give it a try. I have no experience with this, but I would have expected that Prime would install in any case but would simply refuse to run in its 30 day full featured mode if you try to install it a second time on the same machine. After all Prime Express is claimed to be free for life time.

Another idea: Prime is not willing to send you a new trial license during installation - thats OK. But nevertheless Prime should be installed on your computer and you should be able to use it in limited Express mode, isn't it that way? Is Prime installed and what happens if you start Prime?

I agree with Werner.  Please clarify when the error occurs.  You should be able to install Prime 3.1, but it makes sense that you might not be able to register a license for it (if you have already used the 30 day trial & have not paid for a license).  Note that the installer will want you to run the license wizard as part of the installation steps, but I believe you can skip that step.

Please send your issue to PTC's tech support by using "Mathcad Support Center" (you can do it, even if you use Express version of Mathcad Prime):

Mathcad Support Center

http://blogs.ptc.com/2011/09/22/how-to-use-the-brand-new-online-mathcad-support-center/

Top Tags