cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Conversion of MAthCAD 15 to Prime 3.1 on Microsoft Surface

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

Conversion of MAthCAD 15 to Prime 3.1 on Microsoft Surface

I had a great deal of difficultly loading Mathcad 15 on my surface notebook until it was realized that .NET 3.5 framework was needed and though supported in the Windows 10 O/S was not preloaded.

Having resolved that problem I still have issues with conversion.  The error message I get is:

If you have any insight to fix this problem it will be helpful.

A

46 REPLIES 46

Please verify which release of Mathcad 15 you have installed.  The latest is M040.

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:MJG)

It is the latest

A

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

Sorry I stand corrected it is

Mathcad 15.0 (M045 [])

Taken from the Mathcad About.

A

You're correct.  I wonder why the system requirement PDF linked on the download page (http://www.ptc.com/engineering-math-software/mathcad/free-trial) is for M040.

Regardless, I'm fresh out of ideas for you - sorry!

I wouldn't know if it's required, but:

do your Prime and Mathcad installations use the same license (file), or did you own Mathcad 15 already before you bought and installed Prime?

What if you try to convert a stupid simple Mathcad 15 file, e.g. one that contains nothing, or maybe just a definition of a:=0...?

Luc

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

I have both and loaded both at the same time.  The both rely on the same license file.

I had other issues and spent a few hours getting the programs loaded and working.  The only issue is that Prime refuses to convert files.  Maybe I am not paying it enough .

A

Depending on how many files you need to convert, you could attach your files here and have someone convert them for you.  Obviously doesn't fix the root cause of your issue, though.

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

I may take you up on that but my intent was to test this on a few sheets and see what does not work.  I have not done anything with Prime since release 2 and found it sadly lacking so gave up on it and then I had a surface and no MathCAD for a couple years and am only getting back into it with my surface.

I have some very complex sheets that use controls that I do not think work in Prime.  If they work then I will convert if not I will wait and continue to use MathCAD.

A

Controls do not (yet) work in Prime.

It is getting better; we're currently using 3.0 and getting useful work done.

But, does conversion of a stupid simple Mathcad 15 sheet to Prime work?

I ask this because of the error message "Could not start Mathcad conversion process", which might indicate that there's something fundamentally wrong.

Luc

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

No, I tested a very simply sheet and the same error message.  I suspect there is something that is preventing the Mathcad engine from starting, that part at least that is called by Prime when it does the conversion.

A

Mathcad 15 runs OK and can load worksheets on it's own though, correct?

You could also try installing a later version of .NET. I believe the latest is 4.6.something. Maybe the converter needs a later version.

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Yes, everything works, load, edit, create, print, and delete.  I was getting an error on load, security settings on the computer.  Maybe I need to reduce the security level further to have it work.

A

You could certainly try temporarily reducing the security level to see if it fixes the problem. If it does then that would point to a way to fix it permanently.

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

No change, still does not work.

A

Did you install Mathcad 15 in the directory proposed by default?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

I did

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\mathcad.exe"

And it starts in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\"

A

Ok.

The document you want to convert stored on a flash card or inner drive?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

I have tried several.  First from my shared network drive and also from the computer desktop.  None were on a flash drive.

A

Are you running the converter from within Prime, or externally, as a standalone program?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

I run the converter built into Prime. Is there a separate program? I found the separate converter, tried it, and the same end result.

A

Then I don't know what to suggest at this point. Are you current on your maintenance? If so, you should open a case with PTC.

But Windows 10 is not supported in this case. So it is necessary to wait for the following releases of the program for a start.

What type of licensing are you using for Mathcad ("locked" or "floating")?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

I agree. I thought I'd see if someone had a solution. I think I will wait but are the dates for release set ? It has been promised since 2014.

A

Release dates (Q4 of 2016 year is stated for Mathcad Prime 4.0 version):

Pic_1.png

P.S. What type of licensing are you using for Mathcad ("locked" or "floating")?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

i have three fixed licences. I tried a floating license but the value was not there so I dropped it.

A

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Q4 2016 is possible, but not probable. More likely Q1 2017. (That's an informed opinion, not something I know to be true).

On my Surfase Pro 3 no problems

Top Tags