cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display problems on Different Computers

ptc-1931246
1-Newbie

Display problems on Different Computers

I have created files and templates for myself and others around the office. We use different operating systems and configurations but all use MCv13.

On my machine the documents look and print correctly. On some of their machines the text and math regions are no longer the right size which causes the information in the region to wrap. Images (bmp) are no longer the correct size or location. Even in a printed view to the same network printer, the information prints differently.

The spacing and styles seem to be the same and do not appear to have changed.

Why are there such differences and what can be done to correct or prevent the problems?
5 REPLIES 5

Check the screen settings. I would guess that the different systems have different settings for the font size (small (norma), large, or custom (specified by a % or a DPI value)). Mathcad does not calculate text sizes correctly for anything other than the standard (small, 96DPI) setting.

BMPs are always a difficult case. They actually have two different sizes. The data is actually stored as a set of pixels, hence the data represents a particular size in terms of number of pixels. A BMP also has a (nominal) physical size, based on a (nominal) DPI. If the BMP is displayed on a screen where the BMP's DPI does not match the screen's DPI the display routine must make a choice. It can display the pixels as stored, with the result that the BMP is physically a different size from what it should be, or it can resample the BMP to make it the proper number of pixels for the nominal physical size. Some BMPs (mainly actual pictures) tolerate resizing fairly well, others (line graphics and text) can get very distorted and look horrible with resizing.

� � � � Tom Gutman

Thanks for this. If what you say is true regarding the 96 dpi restriction, then we are in a bit of difficulty, no? Because with pixel sizes increasing, especially on laptops, and relatively small screen sizes, if becomes difficult to read the screen @ 96 dpi. Hence, on my system, after trying several approaches and asking for tech support from Windows experts, I left my dpi @ 96 and adjusted the default font sizes for the desktop. I still get the display and printing problem. I do not get this with other products that permit zooming.

Rich

Yes. But don't tell me. I know. Tell Mathsoft. They are the ones who decide whether the scream level for any particular problem is high enough for them to actually do something about it.

I run my system with the large fonts option (120DPI), and I see a lot of anomalies in Mathcad. I don't usually use zooming, but I expect that that just changes the DPI used in Mathcad's calculations, and so bring up all of the problems with those calculations. I don't do printing, so haven't seen the print problems. But I am aware that the discrepancy between screen metrics and printer metrics is a common source of problems. All programs that print need to make a choice as to whether to use screen or printer metrics when doing the layout for printing.

� � � � Tom Gutman

Wow, I just started developing engineering calculations on mathcad, and I've run into this problem sharing it with other engineers, as well as trying to do some of my work on my home computer! What an EPIC fail for this otherwise nice piece of software. I had envisioned moving away from MSExcel, but this lack of portability is not good at all! After 15 versions, Mathsoft has not corrected this problem? Isn't this a fundamental criteria in software development; portability of files between different computers?

Wusley,

The problem is different display settings on different computers, as Tom wrote earlier.

If you stick with normal size (96 dpi), then the files will display and print the same on different computers. We have fixed this issue for next version, Mathcad Prime 1.0, which is still in development.

Mona

Announcements