cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

EQ(x) solve not working..

pyoyoon
4-Participant

EQ(x) solve not working..

pyoyoon_0-1584005671693.png

Hi.  I am doing a pretty simple calculation and I expect x = 3.3117 but 'solve' would not return the value.

I am inserting an additional line to calculate x manually in the middle of a design MathCad sheet but it is painful.

Why couldn't MathCad perform that simple numerical calculation but only repeat it symbolically?  Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Do it this way:

solve.JPG

Though why you think this is less painful than simply setting x:=97.472/29.432 is beyond me!

Alan

pyoyoon
4-Participant
(To:AlanStevens)

Thank you.  

It is because the coefficients are the results of the previous calculation of the same worksheet.

The flow of the calculation gives me the coefficients.  

pyoyoon
4-Participant
(To:AlanStevens)

Sorry.  Your suggestion is not working in MathCad 14.  ㅠㅠ

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:pyoyoon)

Hi,

The calculation proceeds as follows:

answertopyoyoon.jpg

pyoyoon
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Thank you!  This is working in MathCad 14.

I am not sure I understand why but at least it is working and saves me a lot of time to type in the intermediate values manually.  I just speculate that MathCad 14 is not perfect so that trying various equivalent calculation options comes up with a working method. 

I appreciate your help.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

In Mathcad, as well as in other similar software there are "bugs", who has more and who has less, but, at least for me, Mathcad is a masterpiece !!!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

1. You should ALWAYS attach your worksheet, or at least A worksheet that conains the problem. That helps tremendously!

2. You get this weird result most probably because, instead of using the symbolic operators pad, you typed 'solve, x' immediately after 'EQ(x)', which caused a multiplication like

EQ(x)*solve,x

Then you pressed the button for a symbolic evaluation. That results in the answer you get.

Correct this situation (by all means USE THE SYMBOLIC PAD to initiate symbolic operations) and you'll see that it works like you expect it to.

Success!
Luc

pyoyoon
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for your advice.

I will keep those in mind whenever I use MathCad and this forum.

This forum and experts here are very helpful and amazingly willing to help a novice like me.

I really appreciate their help.  

Have you also read Lucs #2) ?

It looks like he found the problem of your expression giving no result.

After all your approach should work as well as Alan's small variation if you use the "solve" from the symbolic palette or at least type Ctrl-Shift-. to get the symbolic arrow with a placeholder and then type "solve,x" there.

Werner_E_0-1584060688830.png

Top Tags