cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Equation Solving 2.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Equation Solving 2.

Hello, Everyone.

My question :

Built-in+function+solve%2C_.PNG

My question is : Is there an other built-in function for this ?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

17 REPLIES 17

See.

I have a problem with 5 parts of the equation.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/56576#56576

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:lvl107)

Loi Le schrieb:

My question is : Is there an other built-in function for this ?

Yes, you could use a solve block without guess values and evaluate it symbolically. The result however will be the same. The expression for M is too large for Mathcad to display. See attached file.

But I think that you are not really interested in looking at an expression that big - you'd rather want to use it (for whatever). And you can do this in any way you would do if you could see it,

You have to assign the evaluation to a variable, a vector (or Matrix, if there are more than one solution) and may symbolically show the single elements. All but the solution for M will display.

See the attached file for more information.

WE

Built-In1.png

I solved problem see attached file.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:jkowalski)

Nice idea to use substitution to shorten the expression.

Maybe it would be more comfortable to let Mathcad do the work.

On the other side nothing would be comfortable with that sort of expressions, I suppose. So I have chosen a more simpler example to demonstrate. You may apply the same method using the solve block, of course.

subst.png

I can not think of any way to avoid having to retype the substitution (third expression, resubstitution)

WE

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hello Everyone again,

And I have a related question :

Built-in function solve3.PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Loi Le schrieb:

Hello Everyone again,

And I have a related question :

Built-in+function+solve3.PNG

Best Regards.

I'm too lazy to try it myself. Substitution, as Jan showed, did not work??

Result in Mathematica...

its clean, nice and neat.....

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Because of the special way your equations are constructed you could solve that system "manually" by substituting the first equ in the second, solve for J, substitute in third, etc. If you don't insist on simplfying N or factoring M, all solutions can be "seen", although I wouldn't like them. Guess Mathcad is somewhat at its limits, concerning its abilty to display large expressions.

Another idea would be that you try Prime. I don't like Prime, but as I understand, the problem of large expressions seemed to be solved there via extendable regions.

No clue what the hell you are trying to do here at all - maybe you could give us a hint.

08.01.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Built-in+function%2C+solve_.PNG
Thanks for your hint, the above, Werner. And doing manually the following similar one :
Built-in+function%2C+solve.PNG
Best Regards.
Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Loi Le schrieb:

Thanks for your hint, the above, Werner. And doing manually the following similar one :
Best Regards.

Glad it was of use for you.

Looking at your solutions and the symmetry in it I would guess you could calculate them directly without using the original equations and withou solve. Probably best using recursion, as the n-th solution is (solution (n-1) - [solution (n-1) with every index substituted for the next one])/(a[1-1[n).

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Thats it what I meant. See attached worksheet for a possibility to resubstitute to A,B,C, etc.

Built6.png

Here's the answer...file

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

...file

Thought Loi would like to do it himself in the worksheet he(?) is working on. 🙂

If he needs my sheet I think he will give me a shout.

Hopefully not a "related" question with eight or more variables.

@Loi: I don't know from what problem your variables come from, but it seems you are running out of alphabets. You may consider using literal indices or even vectors, if possible. The equations you provide seem to follow a rule. Maybe you could write them more compact by using vector operations and/or summation sign. Just came to my mind.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

OK Loi,

see attached what I meant by using vectors. I think these are the equations you are dealing with.

Its almost automatic, but I dont know what can be done to automate the vector at the solve command.

You may have to delete the "simplify" at the solve command when increasing N.

Perhaps someone else has an idea - see screenshots below or attached worksheet.

You will run into the same problems with Mathcad not being able to show the result.

You may work with an automatic substitution (a[j] - a[n]) --> A[10*j+n] or something similar to make the expressions shorter - see attached sheet.

Built1.png

Does anyone know why the follwing two expressions don't work and how one could make the solve to work withou manual intervention for arbitrary N?

Built2.png Built3.png

The solution your problem is beyond my capabilities. Mathcad studying only for 3 months.Therefore, you can not help

PS. (google translator is suc*s)

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

I'm not sure if a solution to this problem exists. The coexistence of the numeric and symbolic processor is not always smooth and peaceful.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Many thanks for the equivalence one, Werner.

Equivalence.PNG

Best Regards.

Announcements

Top Tags