cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

File save location

jdesai-2
11-Garnet

File save location

In MC prime, how do you change the default location where the files are saved with the save as command? I don't want to keep updating every time I use save as.

15 REPLIES 15
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:jdesai-2)

My experience is that Prime (4.0) remembers where it last saved a sheet file and uses that as the proposed location for saving a new sheet file. Or am I being misled?

Luc

No way.

It keeps going to some arcane location each time

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

I agree with Luc.

Here are my steps:

1. Create new Mathcad Prime document (I'm using Prime 3.1).
  2. Save new document to folder XYZ.
  3. Close Mathcad.
  4. Open Mathcad.
  5. Create new document.
  6. Click "Save" or "Save As"
  7. The "Save As" dialog box comes up with folder XYZ open.
jdesai-2
11-Garnet
(To:MJG)

absolutely not!

it goes back to the "arcane location"

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

You might consider reinstalling Mathcad to see if that helps.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what would be causing your observed behavior.

What version of Mathcad Prime are you using?

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0

I have Prime 3.0 installed here, too, and can confirm, that Prime remembers the location where the last file was saved. Also, after closing the program and reopening it later.

But I don't know where Prime remembers this setting (registry, config file). Usually such user settings should be place where the user has write access. But its Prime by PTC, so we cannot be sure if such intelligent behaviour is implememted. Chances are that you have too limited rights at the place where Prime stores those settings.

Thanks VladimirN. You may be ontosomething here.

My config file points to my Tempplates. What should it point to?

C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\MathcadPrime\My Templates.

I found some of my old saves there. How do I make it save or save as to the location of the original file?

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

Good find, Vladimir!

jdesai,

Look for the setting named "CWD" (Current Working Directory).  Whatever you set as a value for this setting should be where Prime defaults to save your next worksheet.

Try changing this setting to be something like "C:\Users\<your username>\Desktop" (without the quotes).  Then see what comes up in the save-as dialog.  It works for me.

As noted, however, Prime should be updating this setting each time you save a file.

what is

MathcadPrime.exe_Url_ehru2dx4wl1fcsqxso5q04rbyc5vkgpe

should I look for current folder in there?

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

If you're referring to the location of the config file, mine is located where Vladimir noted except it has a bunch of extra characters, as you;ve noted.

If you navigate to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\PTC

There should be one or more folders.  One of the folders should be MathcadPrime.exe_<a bunch of characters>

Inside that folder is another folder with numeric digits and decimal separator.  Inside that folder is a file named user.config.  Open this file with a text editor and adjust the value for "CWD"

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:MJG)

That's right.

Check your config file, which is located on the following path: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\MathcadPrime\

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

OK, I use Prime Express, so in my case I am missing some features.

Did you check the OPTIONS pane that shows after you click the 'PTC MATHCAD BUTTON' at the top left corner of the Prime window?

Success!
Luc

Top Tags