cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

File type is not supported-MathCAD Prime7.0

Leakchhayvat
7-Bedrock

File type is not supported-MathCAD Prime7.0

Dear MathCAD Prime experts,
Currently I have had a problem of opening my work file. I was doing my engineering design of Footing in MathCAD Prime7.0, but I was not get done on work I saved and closed. When I opened the for continuing my work the error message was popped up " The file type is not supported. Log file is located at C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception20210505_145107.log'' and I could not even open my file, I tried.

Have somebody experienced this kind of problem? I would like you somebody else kindly spare your time to have a look at my attached file for making it to be as normal as it can be?
I am here for looking forward for your help.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Leakchhayvat)

Please attach only the Prime .mcdx file, and do NOT archive it.

(And if ever you want/need to archive, use the ZIP format: In Windows Explorer (the file manager), with the right-mouse on the file, choose 'send to'  and then 'compressed (zipped) folder'.)

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Please attach only the Prime .mcdx file, and do NOT archive it.

(And if ever you want/need to archive, use the ZIP format: In Windows Explorer (the file manager), with the right-mouse on the file, choose 'send to'  and then 'compressed (zipped) folder'.)

Success!
Luc

Excuse me sir! The reason I archived it because I could not directly attached it. But now let me try as per you recommended. Thank you sir.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

OK.

Unfortunately, as Werner already mentioned, the file zeroed out. This means there is no usable information in it.

I hope you have a backup.

Success!
Luc

Excuse me sir! Would you mind to try for openin' another file I attached below? If there is the same previous one could you tell me how to do a backup file?
Thank you!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

This .ZIP file also contains a file with 344064 bytes, all the same value: 0.

There's no other data to be retrieved from it.

To make regular backups, you could use a backup application.

Another method is to regularly, (at least daily, and after every large change), save your Prime sheet to a new file, with date (and time) in the file name.

So if you are working on a sheet with name: Footer.mcdx

You would today save it as Footer_20210507.mcdx

Tomorrow it becomes Footer_20210508.mcdx

And so forth. That way you never loose more work than from a single day.

Success!
Luc

Have somebody experienced this kind of problem? I would like you somebody else kindly spare your time to have a look at my attached file for making it to be as normal as it can be?

When you flip through this forum you will see that many people experienced similar problems. Prime seems to be famous for damaging files and in contrary to real Mathcad (V.15 and below) provides no means for an automatic backup.
Sometimes the files are damaged in a way so they can partially restored, but sometimes the information in the file is destroyed completely.

Unfortunately your file falls into the latter category. The file you posted contains a series of zero-bytes only. There is no information contained that could be restored.
Only help could be a backup you made yourself earlier. If you didn't , you'll have to redo your work again from scratch.

Thank you for your information.

Top Tags