cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Fine Spline

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Fine Spline

Together with my students, I made animation that helps to understand what a cubic spline is.

Spline-Set.gif

One student sent me this beautiful spline

Spline-Fine.png

9 REPLIES 9

Fantastic!  What imaginative students you have Val. 

Alan 

Thanks Alan.

It was one lesson on STEAM thechnology of education:

Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math

MaxNori
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

According to Wiki, the real, physical spline was used also by the Wright brothers to shape the wings of their aircraft.

Splines were drafting tools before they became calculation engines in CAD programs.

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1608483030870.png

This was also the origin of the expression, "Get your ducks lined up."  The weights used to keep the flexible spline where the draftsman required were called ducks.

I have used:

Lecalo.pngLecalo-1.png

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

Splines were drafting tools before they became calculation engines in CAD programs.

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1608483030870.png

This was also the origin of the expression, "Get your ducks lined up."  The weights used to keep the flexible spline where the draftsman required were called ducks.

"Ducks"? 

The first thing I thought when I saw this picture was, "I wonder when they're going to grow legs and turn into frogs?".  The second thing was, "I wonder what's being pumped through that feeding line ... they're pretty big for tadpoles.".   The third was, "Fred's got some interesting hobbies.".

Then I put my glasses on ...

Reminds me of getting balsa wood to follow the correct lines when building model aeroplanes as a kid.   I didn't know I was following in the heritage of the Wright Brothers and other aviation pioneers

Stuart

I still can't see a duck anywhere, but I can imagine a group of whales or submersibles floating alongside a pipeline.   And it's not even cocktail time!

For me, it's more like dwarf whales or African spermatozoa.

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

For me, it's more like dwarf whales or African spermatozoa.

Tadpole (головастик) of Лягушка-голиаф ...

ba27457922204d05b0a109a82b168973

Or perhaps the new refuelling charging line for lifting body aircraft of the future at Heathrow and Шереметьево ,,, ?

ac10e411891085.562742ada6bea

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Sorry - what same problem?

@ValeryOchkov 

You are replying to a spam mail! Report it to the moderator as it should be deleted.

Top Tags