cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Getting Started Tutorial not working?

rtopliff
1-Newbie

Getting Started Tutorial not working?

I am essentially new to MathCad and wanted to work thr ough the tutorials for Prime 1. In the second example, it asks you to download data_files.zip that is supposed to contain "example topics data files". However, when I downloaded & unzipped the file, all it contained were a number of *.gif and bitmap files. What is going on here? did something get corruypted, or did this take me to the wrong place? I am using Windows 7 on a laptop and downloaded the 30 day demo file.

16 REPLIES 16

Thank you so much for your post.

Watch The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Online Free

Hello!

What kind of training course for Mathcad Prime you talking about?

Vladimir,

I am not taking any course, I am trying to work my way through the tutorials that are part of Prime 1.0. I am wondering if they are incomplete since I downloaded the 30 day trial rather than purchasing a license. However, if I can't learn how to use the software through the tutorials, it will be difficult for me to judge the usefulness of this to me for the types of work I do.

On a simpler note, the start of the tutorial asked me to click on the PDF button and make a PDF file of the tutorial. I could not locate this button anywhere and the tutorial was not clear on where this button was located.

More to come, I am sure!!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:rtopliff)

On a simpler note, the start of the tutorial asked me to click on the PDF button and make a PDF file of the tutorial. I could not locate this button anywhere and the tutorial was not clear on where this button was located.

Save File.jpg

Or you can use the hotkey "Shift+Ctrl+S" ("Save a copy").

Ross Topliff wrote:

...On a simpler note, the start of the tutorial asked me to click on the PDF button and make a PDF file of the tutorial. I could not locate this button anywhere and the tutorial was not clear on where this button was located...

Please show a screenshot of your window (of "Mathcad Prime 1.0 Help Center").

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

In the second example,

Do you mean in Task 2-1 or Task 2-2? I don't see any reference to a file download.

Task 1-2.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Entering and Evaluating an Equation"? Sorry, I still don't see it. Which paragraph number?

Ross,

I just downloaded the trial version of Mathcad Prime 1.0, to make sure everything was included.

Task 1-1: Navigating and Customizing the Mathcad Workspace.

To save the PDF file, you can right--click on the name "About Exercise 1", then save it to your computer, then open it.

Task 1-2: Using the Help Center

After you unzip data_files.zip, you do see a number of image files. However if you View by Details, and then sort by Type, you will see data files that are *.prn, *.txt, *.csv, and *.xlsx files.

These files are used in various examples in Help.

Thank you for the feedback, because it's helpful to see what is confusing and needs revising.

Mona

Mona,

Thank you for your assistance.Aftoer literally poking around for another half hour or so, I found ddown at the bottom of hte help screen the link to access the example files. Your text should tell a newbie like me EXACTLY where to find this link. It appears to me that this help section was never tested on someone who has never worked with the software.

This afternoon, I found another issue: the tutorial says: "Open the Help adn type "Example: Column, Normal Probability, and Box Plots" in the Search box. Click Search and open the topic from the search results."

When Itried this and included the word "Example" in the seracah terms, it came back with no results. After a couple tries, I removed the word Example, and the desired resutls came up.

Ross

Mona,

Another small thing I found today in task 2-1. It says to find the button for x^n. The actual button is x^y.

Ross Topliff wrote:

...It says to find the button for x^n. The actual button is x^y...

That's right.

Pic_1.png

Ross Topliff wrote:

... it asks you to download data_files.zip that is supposed to contain "example topics data files"...

Could you provide a link to this file?

Hi Vladimir,

In Help, you can find the link to the zipped data files, in the Help topic,

"To Copy Math Examples from the Help"

Mona

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mzeftel)

Hello!

Thank you. I found this archive.

Top Tags