cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK

ppal
17-Peridot

HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK

muser_0-1638225448093.png

I can't get this to do anything. It's such a piece of junk.

Does this actually work?

Won't find anything - won't replace (Text or Math)

I am on Prime 7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:ppal)

@ppal wrote:

Does this actually work?

I am on Prime 7

Find/Replace is certainly not the most intuitive interface, but it does work, even in Mathcad Express.

• Click on Options to limit the search scope to Text or Math regions, whole words or case sensitivity. 

• Type what you want to locate into the Find box.
  • Do *not* type "Return" to find something - this merely adds a line to your worksheet (that is, I'm sure you would agree, the most obvious and intuitive thing to expect  ... not!).  
  • Instead, press the right-arrow symbol next to the Find box.  This should find what you're looking for.  It may take some, though depending upon how big or complex your worksheet is.  Mathcad automatically selects what it finds.

• Similarly, do *not* type Tab to move from the Find box to the Replace box.  Tab merely jumps to the next Math Region from where your cursor was.   Just click in the Replace box and type your new text.
  • The right-arrow symbol next to the Replace box remains greyed-out until Mathcad has found something to replace.
  • Once your Find text is found, press the right-arrow symbol next to the Replace box.  This should replace the selected text and then find the next instance, which you either change using the same method or use one of the two Find arrows to find the next instance you want to change.

• Mathcad will indicate when its search has reached the end (or beginning) of a worksheet.
  • If you've started your search from partway down a worksheet and hit the end/beginning, just press the Find arrow to continue the search from the top/bottom. 

• Although Find works forwards and backwards, Replace only works forwards.

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Maybe it doesn't work in fully licensed Prime7, but it does work in Prime Express 7.

Take a new sheet. Enter a variable named String. (no need to assign anything to it).

Put a capital S in the find box. Put a capital R in the replace box.

Put your curser on the sheet above the String variable.

Press the => arrow to the right of the Find box. Your variable String should now be selected.

Press the => arrow to the right of the Replace box.

The S in String should now be replaced with R.

I guess with the <= arrow you can search in the opposite direction.

Check out the Options menu to the right of the Replace box.

Success!

Luc

FINALLY!!

The ability to find and change the subscript of a variable name!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@ppal wrote:

Does this actually work?

I am on Prime 7

Find/Replace is certainly not the most intuitive interface, but it does work, even in Mathcad Express.

• Click on Options to limit the search scope to Text or Math regions, whole words or case sensitivity. 

• Type what you want to locate into the Find box.
  • Do *not* type "Return" to find something - this merely adds a line to your worksheet (that is, I'm sure you would agree, the most obvious and intuitive thing to expect  ... not!).  
  • Instead, press the right-arrow symbol next to the Find box.  This should find what you're looking for.  It may take some, though depending upon how big or complex your worksheet is.  Mathcad automatically selects what it finds.

• Similarly, do *not* type Tab to move from the Find box to the Replace box.  Tab merely jumps to the next Math Region from where your cursor was.   Just click in the Replace box and type your new text.
  • The right-arrow symbol next to the Replace box remains greyed-out until Mathcad has found something to replace.
  • Once your Find text is found, press the right-arrow symbol next to the Replace box.  This should replace the selected text and then find the next instance, which you either change using the same method or use one of the two Find arrows to find the next instance you want to change.

• Mathcad will indicate when its search has reached the end (or beginning) of a worksheet.
  • If you've started your search from partway down a worksheet and hit the end/beginning, just press the Find arrow to continue the search from the top/bottom. 

• Although Find works forwards and backwards, Replace only works forwards.

Stuart

Top Tags