cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Help! Why does this array not work?

jspencer03333
1-Newbie

Help! Why does this array not work?

Why does the first function of "X.bolt.w" not compute, but if I remove the end values of n.b.row.h*29, it works - as shown in the second function. It doesnt make any sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm surprised the second one worked!! You should probably use something like the syntax as shown in the attached - it's much simpler!

Alan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Firstly you can't define your programs loops like that. Look in the help menu for tips on this.

It also looks like you haven't defined x.s in your worksheet.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

My bad, I took this out of a larger file. I updated and re-attached

Look at how the first definition of X.bolt.w does not work, but then the second definition works fine. All I did to the first is as another row at the end, exactly like the others.

I'm surprised the second one worked!! You should probably use something like the syntax as shown in the attached - it's much simpler!

Alan

Interesting, I dont know why I didnt think the range variable recognized number patterns...that's awesome!

Thanks everyone for the help, as you can see I am not a mathcad expert.

It seems to be a rather arbitrary limit on how many entries you can have in the list for a for loop. it works OK in version 11, but not 13, so I guess it was introduced when the rewrote the compute engine in 12. To get around it, put the list in a vector (which, IMHO, would be better style anyway). Or, as Alan suggests, don't use a list at all.

James,

I assume you are trying to determing the x and y corrd of each bolt, eventually to calculate an eccentrically loaded bolt group?

Anyway, attached is a more general function to do this.

Wayne

Top Tags