cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Help: a big Mathcad file is damaged and cannot be opened again

yhuang-3
1-Newbie

Help: a big Mathcad file is damaged and cannot be opened again

Hi All, I was creating a worksheet in calculating circuit parameters. I kept saving the file from time to time, but suddenly when I tried to save it again, some error messages showed, and asked me to either debug or close the program. This file now is showed 0 byte and cannot be opened. I attached it and would anyone help me about this? Thanks a million!

7 REPLIES 7

We can't recover information which is not there. The file is zero bytes in length, so there is no information in it.

You have to resort to a back, I guess.

You could have luck if you have auto-save in Mathcad turned on . Was it turned on?

WE

Your worksheet is completely empty, it contains nothing:

Pic_1.png

Autosave option for worksheets can be found in main program menu select: "Tools" --> "Preferences" --> "Save" --> "Autosave":

Pic_2.png

Thank you Vladimir, I found that there is no autosave setup in my account.  I did save it from time to time, and the size at the last successful save should be 2 to 3 MB.

Then when I kept on coding and pressed "save", it started to pop out "Not enough Memory" and some other strange error message.

Finally when I tried to copy my code to a new blank worksheet, a message showed that I should either debug it or close the program.

When I clicked "close", the size of this worksheet changed to 0 byte (may be this size change already happened when some error message showed previously).

Do you think there is any other way in try to recover the file? Thank you!

I think that other ways for restoration aren't present (except for a new manual set of the worksheet). I can also recommend on the future after each closing of the document to make its archival copy by using some of archiver program like WinRAR, WinZip, 7-Zip (you simply click the right mouse button on the file and it can archive copy).

Pic_1.png

When I save Mathcad documents (usually on my desktop). It saves a temporary file first, in this approx. format.

Capture.PNG

And then renames it to the original filename , overwriting the original.

since the file you posted is empty, it will be worth looking for files like this in the working folder.

If you find any , then try changing the extension from .tmp to .xmcd (or whatever the original was) & then opening it.

It may not help, but there is always a chance that you can recover the file info from the last save.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy, if there is no .tmp file showing in my desktop, does that mean there is no hope? Thank you!

Its not necessarily on your desktop, but could be in the folder where the original Mathcad file was saved.

If you were working on the desktop, then its beyond my knowledge. You could try the recycle bin for earlier copies, but as Mathcad overwrites the previous saved file it is increasingly unlikely.

Sorry

Andy

Top Tags