cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do I solve a Free Space Loss equation?

BillDumke
1-Newbie

How do I solve a Free Space Loss equation?

I am trying to do a symbolic solution for the distance in feet for a given free space loss in dB and frequency in MHz. The formula originally came from a canned Excel spreadsheet.

Now want to solve for the distance in feet for a given frequency and free space loss.

Doing a symbolic solve,

Mathcad 15 M010 says cannot find a solution.

Mathcad 11 finds a solution in terms of the frequency in MHz and "lhs". What does "lhs" mean????

I need to be able to put this back into a spreadsheet, so can't use units here.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This works if you reformulate it just a bit!

"lhs" translates to left hand side

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

This works if you reformulate it just a bit!

"lhs" translates to left hand side

Nicely done Fred.

Mike

Well, I get two e-mails. But the answers from Fred and somebody else do not appear in the discussion. I will wait.

Bill

I opened your file (*.mcd) using version 14, modified it to solve your problem, and saved it (*.xmcd)

Version 15 (which you say you have) will open that file, and it should display the same answer I got using 14.

What are you waiting for?

Fred & Mona,

When I log into the community with my work login, Bill Dumke, all I see is my first post. When I log out I see all of the thread, including your posts, Fred. So I just tried logging in with my home user name and password, William E. Dumke, and now it looks like it works.

Fred, thank you for the solution. I didn't know I could use a function in a solve block like that.

Mona, please fix this, so I can give Fred the credit for the solution. I can't do that from this log in.

Bill

Top Tags