cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do you add greek letters to a chart title or trace name in Mathcad Prime 7.0?

IC_9293922
1-Newbie

How do you add greek letters to a chart title or trace name in Mathcad Prime 7.0?

I was trying to use the fancy new charting system (Math | Insert Chart Component), and all was fine until I tried to enter the units for the trace, micrometers, as mm in the trace name.  I could not see any way of doing it, and ctrl-G was clearly not recognised.  How on earth do I state what the units are on a chart like this if I cannot use Greek letters?  Is there a way of doing this that I have not seen yet?

In the Chart Title, there's a drop down box so that I can select the case for the whole title, but not for just a few characters, and anyway that's in the title, not the trace name.

So unless I am mistaken, the whole of the text system for these new types of charts is incredibly basic and limited ... am I right?  Please tell me that I have missed something, because I quite like the new charting system otherwise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The chart component has a lot of flaws. One of the worst is that this component can't deal with units! It is incomprehensible to me how such an add-on could be integrated into a software of which one of the most outstanding advantages is the natural handling of units.

But I think that's not the problem you're facing. As far as I understand, you just want to write the unit as text in the axis label and are missing a way to add a greek letter. Have you already tried copy & paste (e.g. from the CharMap app or even from a Prime region)? This is tedious and shouldn't be necessary, but that's the way it is in Prime -- think also of the inability to superscript and subscript normal text boxes ...

I guess you are correct when you conclude that the text system is "incredibly basic and limited" - unfortunately this not only applies to the text system 😞

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The chart component has a lot of flaws. One of the worst is that this component can't deal with units! It is incomprehensible to me how such an add-on could be integrated into a software of which one of the most outstanding advantages is the natural handling of units.

But I think that's not the problem you're facing. As far as I understand, you just want to write the unit as text in the axis label and are missing a way to add a greek letter. Have you already tried copy & paste (e.g. from the CharMap app or even from a Prime region)? This is tedious and shouldn't be necessary, but that's the way it is in Prime -- think also of the inability to superscript and subscript normal text boxes ...

I guess you are correct when you conclude that the text system is "incredibly basic and limited" - unfortunately this not only applies to the text system 😞

Fantastic - that works a treat (just ensure you scroll down to the greek chars in Arial when using charmap, and don't try pasting in an m from the Symbold font ... since otherwise all you'll get is an m when it converts it back to Arial!).  Copying from a Prime region also works fine.

It's a shame that the new graphing facility is only part complete - to have left out the ability to format titles properly, with units and super/subscripts is just bonkers.  It's an engineering tool - those are fundamental to the use of the tool!  Never mind - thanks for the wrokaround Werner.

Top Tags