cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to efficiently generate multidimensional arrays and surface plots in cylindrical coordinates?

ptc-4236271
1-Newbie

How to efficiently generate multidimensional arrays and surface plots in cylindrical coordinates?

In MathCad 15 I have had difficulty figuring out how to generate a surface plot of a function of r and theta (polar coordinates). I have only been able to set up plots in cartesion coordinates.

In the particular case I would like to generate a series of polar surface plot with azimuthal symmetry for a range of z values, (each shown as a surface) to aid in visualization, but I can't seem to set up a plot unless I generate x,y cartesion coordinate grids, which slows the calculation down.

I'm also running into another problem that MathCad 15 does not appear to support multidimensional arrays beyond 2d without resorting to opaque nested syntax.

Does MathCad Prime 2.0 address these issues?

Thank you for the help

Peter

3 REPLIES 3

I don't know about Prime 2.0, as I don't have a copy, but it is possible to write a multi-dimensional array (MDA) library in Mathcad - see the one I threw together in this thread http://communities.ptc.com/message/157015#157015. I've tested the functions against Matlab's equivalents where they exist.

I've been asking for MDAs since Euclid first scribbled some diagrams on a Greek rock.

Stuart

Mathcad 15 has a function "CreateMesh" which has the capability to incorporate a mapping transformation.

There are also "built-in mapping functions for coordinate transformations.

MDA's are another matter.

Prime is still missing many of the features that are available in 15.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4236271)

Could you post an example of a function you wish to plot.

As Stuart says, MDAs are a very old request. So old I have forgotten when they were first asked for. They have been requested very many times. So many, I have lost count. They have been requested by many people. I have lost count of that too. But no, we still don't have them.

Top Tags