cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to place results at the top of calculation file

CH_10552914
3-Visitor

How to place results at the top of calculation file

Hello, up to now I am using MathCad 15, and there I use the feature of the two calculation runs:

1rst run: using global definition

In this run I put all of my calculations, which usually requires re-definition of global parameter.

2nd run: using "normal" operators

In this run I put results, plots etxc.

The big advantage is that I can place

# all parameter definitions at the top of the sheet

# all results just below the parameter definitions

# all formulas below the results

In Prime this seems not to be possible any more, as a global parameter can only be defined once.

Now I have 2 issues:

# how to place results at the top of the file ?

# how to convert my MathCad 15 files?

Hope that someone can help

Christoph

6 REPLIES 6

Attached is a Prime 8 file with the best compromise I can give you--a collapsed area with the equations.  (I never liked global variables, and using them as you described in 15 would horrify me.)

Prime version 8 should convert the 15 file, but you need the full version.

Hello, thanks for the fast response.

The method of the collaps area I found as well, but it is only a workaround, and does not work in all situations. Still results cannot be displayed in the same line as input data. In addition, a collaps area  kills the print formatting.

The attachement in your response I cannot open, as our Company still uses MathCad Prime 7. V8 will be rolled out in app. 4-5 weeks.

However, I am extremely unhappy with the required switch from MathCad15 to Prime, as NONE of my former calculation sheets will work after conversion. I tried to update them manually, but I found:

* only very complex generation of charts - the feature of the plot functions are far too "old school"

* no possibility for a proper format for printout (only one row of pages)

* complicated generation subscript: used to be a ".", now it is CTRL "-"

* uncommon colour schemes - all windows default colours are missing, no possibility to create own colour scheme (corporate idendity)

* folmulas in italic - pretty bad readability compared to MathCad15

I just started to work with Prime, and being used to MathCad15, it is a mess.

I just attch 2 filed for you: the original version for MathCad15, and the result after the conversion with Prime 7.0.0.0.

You see that he result is a mess. If you have any enhancement of the conversion, pls let me know.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:CH_10552914)

# how to convert my MathCad 15 files?

Prime 8 comes with a converter for legacy files, but you explicitly have to chose it for installation. If you missed to check this option when you installed Prime 8, you can rerun the installation file and add the converter.

According the rest I only can second what Fred already said. My suggestion would have been the very same, too  - hiding the calcs in a collapsed area.

Hi,

from my point of view the basic question is ... do you have to switch to Mathcad Prime ? If the answer is NO then stay at Mathcad 15.0.

Martin Hanák

Correct - this is the main question. But according to out IT, MathCad15 will no longer be supported --> I need to switch...

@CH_10552914 wrote:

Correct - this is the main question. But according to out IT, MathCad15 will no longer be supported --> I need to switch...

Hi,

Question: What type of support does IT have in mind ?

You know MathCad15 well ... therefore you do not need any support from PTC (I guess).

AFAIK MathCad15 is supported on Windows 10 and I believe then it will work on Windows 11, too (IT can test it).

---

The most important "thing" is your MathCad license. If it is permanent then you will be able to get MathCad15 license until the "end of time".

---

Also try to explain to IT that converting MathCad15 files to MathCad Prime files is quite complicated and laborious (time consuming) for complex calculations.

Martin Hanák
Announcements

Top Tags