cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Importing and exporting from excel document

entec2
5-Regular Member

Importing and exporting from excel document

Is it possible to import data from a portion of an excel document into Mathcad and then return the results (export data) back to the same document in a selected region other than that of the input data? I currently use these two operation independently; however, have not found a procedure to allow importing and exporting in the same excel document. The export data operation, as I am using it, always clears any formatting and/or data initially included in the original excel file.

The intent would be to provide a formatted summary page in excel that would denote both the design conditions and results without sorting through multiple pages of calculations. The Mathcad file would be available for the engineering review and provide the engine for the calculations; however, for repetitive projects there would a simple excel document to input and retrieve results.

7 REPLIES 7
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:entec2)

Is it possible to import data from a portion of an excel document into Mathcad and then return the results (export data) back to the same document in a selected region other than that of the input data?

So you want to import data into Mathcad from Excel and then back into Excel?

The intent would be to provide a formatted summary page in excel that would denote both the design conditions and results without sorting through multiple pages of calculations. The Mathcad file would be available for the engineering review and provide the engine for the calculations; however, for repetitive projects there would a simple excel document to input and retrieve results.

I always advice to keep away from Excel. The only time I use it is for formatting results, but always have the component embedded within Mathcad.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeArmstrong)

As I mentioned, I'm attempting to simplify a repetitive set of calculations, to enable designers to perform computations without having to sort through multiple pages of calculations and retrieve results. If I'm understanding you correctly, the excel interface would not be a recommended approach. I was leaning that direction due to the designers familiarity with the excel software. Would the use of a Mathcad reference file be a preferred approach? Do you have other recommendations?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Can't you just put all the calculations you don't want them to see into an area and collapse it?

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

That would be a possibility and may be the best solution.

Thanks,

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, the excel interface would not be a recommended approach. I was leaning that direction due to the designers familiarity with the excel software.

That is only my own opinion. As Richard said you could have the input parameters for the designers on the first page and then have the results on the next page with all the calculations hidden in a collapsed area.

You could also have the inputs on the first page and use an embedded Excel component to collect the results and display the results in the Excel embedded component, above or below the results.

There are many ways to skin a cat - Up to you which method.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeArmstrong)

I'll do some expermenting with the embedded excel component. This is a feature that I've not really utilized. Most of my files, include a summary page at the end of the document where I redisplay necessary design and result values. If exporting, I typically gather my results into a matrix and then prerform a data export. The problem with this data export feature is that any formatting and/or modifications added to the excel file for presentation clarity is lost when the mathcad computations are reran and exported to the excel file a second time.

Is it possible to add headings and format regions in the embedded excel component? I'll do some research in the mathcad resources. Is there a good source of examples for using this feature? Thanks for your time and assistance.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I'll do some expermenting with the embedded excel component. This is a feature that I've not really utilized. Most of my files, include a summary page at the end of the document where I redisplay necessary design and result values.

This was my issue and the reason I looked at trying to find a similar function to the attached. I like the format of my calculation to have the summary placed above the workings, because most of the time the client is only interested in the results.

Is it possible to add headings and format regions in the embedded excel component? I'll do some research in the mathcad resources. Is there a good source of examples for using this feature? Thanks for your time and assistance.

Yes, see attached a very simple example.

There are a few sources throughout the forum and I like others will help if possible. There seems an issue with the component as it's not accepting single scalars. This isn't a massive issue if you construct your results table carefully

Cheers

Mike

Top Tags