cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Insert huge data from pdf file or Notepad into mathCad

YA_10963798
11-Garnet

Insert huge data from pdf file or Notepad into mathCad

Hi there, 

Is there any way to insert data from PDF or Notepad into mathcad without the need to change the file into excel. 

I tried to do so by copying past the data but I got my data as text , couldn't past them into a matrice or table 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When you have the data in an Excelsheet, you could use READEXCEl to read the data directly to a Prime matrix.

Copy and paste from Excel to Prime works, but creates a rather useless table and not a matrix, as so found out yourself. so you are forced to highlight all the table data and then you can copy it in one go to a matrix - quite elaborate. It sure should be easier but unfortunately it isn't

And, no, the current version 10 is not any better in this respect.

Apart from the "copy to Excel -> copy to Prime -> copy from Prime table to matrix" procedure you may use

"copy to Excel -> save file -> read data to Prime Matrix  via READEXCEL"

It not much less cumbersome, I guess.

Another option (but still no improvement) I could think of is using an Excel component.

Insert an Excel component, double click it to open it with Excel, copy the data to this Component, close Excel and use an output expression in the component to get the data into a Prime matrix.
But this last procedure seems to be more hassle than the precious mentioned one.

So in short - There is probably no satisfactory solution to your problem until PTC significantly changes and improves copy&paste. However, this does not seem to be in the pipeline.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guess you are talking about Prime (which version?) as in real Mathcad (not available anymore) copy and paste was implemented much better and with more brainpower.

I guess that with Prime and its dilettantishly implemented copy&paste functionality you simply will not be able to simply copy the data to Prime.

You will have to resort to some reading functions like READEXCEL, READCSV, READTEXT or whatever is appropriate for the format in which the data is available. In case of data from a pdf you will have to copy the data to a text file (or an Excel sheet), save it and then read it in. Quite cumbersome thanks to PTC.

I'm using prime 9 

the problem is I have to insert them first to excel and then from excel to a table in mathcad and then I have to copy that table and paste it to  matrice . And sometimes I get more than 1000 rows and 20 columns which make this process harder than the calculations itself. 

I thought there maybe a shortcut to this overwhelmed issue. 

Dose the new version of mathcad have any feature to simplfy this process?

Thanks 

Yusra 

When you have the data in an Excelsheet, you could use READEXCEl to read the data directly to a Prime matrix.

Copy and paste from Excel to Prime works, but creates a rather useless table and not a matrix, as so found out yourself. so you are forced to highlight all the table data and then you can copy it in one go to a matrix - quite elaborate. It sure should be easier but unfortunately it isn't

And, no, the current version 10 is not any better in this respect.

Apart from the "copy to Excel -> copy to Prime -> copy from Prime table to matrix" procedure you may use

"copy to Excel -> save file -> read data to Prime Matrix  via READEXCEL"

It not much less cumbersome, I guess.

Another option (but still no improvement) I could think of is using an Excel component.

Insert an Excel component, double click it to open it with Excel, copy the data to this Component, close Excel and use an output expression in the component to get the data into a Prime matrix.
But this last procedure seems to be more hassle than the precious mentioned one.

So in short - There is probably no satisfactory solution to your problem until PTC significantly changes and improves copy&paste. However, this does not seem to be in the pipeline.

I see ... I guess the way you suggested may help 

thank you 

Top Tags