cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

MCAD 14 Crashes in Plot Format

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

MCAD 14 Crashes in Plot Format

I am still using MC 14.0. I had to re-install it because the motherboard on my computer went bad. Now, when I go to the Trace tab in plot format it comes up blank and clicking on anything but cancel crashes the program. Other tabs are fine. I installed the M020 release but that did not help. 

Any suggestions?

JohnRudnicki_0-1640130426248.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. The (or, at leas, a) solution turned out to be incredibly simple. When my computer guy tried to install M020, he unpacked the files to a location that was different from the default. M020 then installed without difficulty and for reasons that he did not know (and I certainly do not) that solved all the problems.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Hi,

What Windows OS are you using?

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Windows 10 although I was also using that before I had to re-install MC14.

1. Try to repair it Mathcad 14: "Control Panel" --> "Programs and Features" --> right click on Mathcad14 icon and select "Repair".  When ask for Mathcad14WixInstaller.msi browse for it: Mathcad14_EN folder -> Mathcad -> Mathcad 14.0 M020.msi.

2. The following Microsoft add-on requirements also apply:

Pic-1.png

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

VladimirN: Thanks for the suggestion, but I could not find the file Mathcad14WixInstaller.msi. I did find the Mathcad 14 M020 installer, but when I tried to repair using this file, I get the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". When I try to re-install I get 

JohnRudnicki_0-1640191151952.png

I have been using the M020 installer that I downloaded quite a few years ago when I was having trouble re-installing MC 14 on a new computer. When I tried to download the installer again, I get the message "Failed - network error".

Luc: I tried dowloading MC 030 for installation, but the link in the release notes took me to "Nothing to see here. The page does not exist." Contacted PTC in the chat box on the page but an hour later, they have not responded. 

Nothing seems to be working for me today.

John,

A little later I will look at the contents of the pack for the M14 M020 service release. Which download version do you have available from this linkhttps://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=MCD ?

P.S. Here you can find M14 M020 service release: https://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm 

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

I have been using the the link in your P.S. It seems to download the file but then I get the message "failed - network error"

I tried the other link, but evidently, I am not authorized to use it. It seems I need a PTC account.

1. Can you show a screenshot of the package contents for M020 service release? 

2. Windows Installer (.msi ).

• For M020 service release (and also the location of required Microsoft add-ons):

Pic_2.png

Pic_3.png

• For M035 service release:

Pic_4.png

And additional links:

• "Install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8":

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net35-sp1

• "Description of an update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-an-update-for-microsoft-xml-core-services-4-0-service-pack-2-171a0bd5-cb42-8d6a-5d43-08df0d54e23c

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=973688

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your help but I am still having some problems. I did manage to re-install MC14. Although I got a number of error messages, it seems to be working. When I try to install M020, I get the error message shown in the screenshot. Presumably this is related to errors I got in installing MC14  Another screenshot shows the contents of the M202 service release, as you requested. I think I have .NET Framework 3.5 - see third screenshot.

If you have some feedback let me know, but I will not have much time to spend on this for the holidays. Once they are over our computer tech guy will be back and he can help. I will get back to you either way. Till then, have a happy holiday!

John

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. The (or, at leas, a) solution turned out to be incredibly simple. When my computer guy tried to install M020, he unpacked the files to a location that was different from the default. M020 then installed without difficulty and for reasons that he did not know (and I certainly do not) that solved all the problems.

Glad you solved your problem!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JohnRudnicki)

Hi John,

It appears that there is a Mathcad14 M35:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/refdoc/Mathcad/14.0/Mathcad_14_M035_RELNOTES_HTM_98347

But I see no fixes in M30 or 35 that (directly) relate to your problem.

I assume you have the prequisites installed:

• Windows XP Home or Professional Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, or Windows Vista; Windows XP SP3, XP-x64 SP2, or Vista recommended
  • Windows Installer 3.0 or later
  • Microsoft .NET Framework® 3.5 or later *
  • MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (this exact version of MSXML is required ) 
  • Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 or later 

Success!
Luc

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:LucMeekes)

HI Luc,

Thanks for the suggestions but I am having more problems rather fewer. I tried to install M35 update but the link in the release notes took me to a page that said "Nothing here for you to see - the page you are looking for does not exist." I tried the PTC chatbox on the page, but did not get any response - at least until now (~36 hours later). Another problem (see post on displaying an array) cropped up and Werner thought I have a faulty installation. So I uninstalled MC14 but now cannot re-install it at all. I keep getting the message "some files could not be copied - close all apps, reboot windows and try again." I did that several times, to no avail. I am using Windows 10 and successfully installed MC14 a few years ago when I had to get a new machine, so I think I have your "prerequisites" but how would I verify this? I searched on MXSML and there  were many. MXSML SP2 is no longer available from Microsoft.

Any other suggestions?

In any case, have a happy holiday!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JohnRudnicki)

John,

Can it be that you're bitten by the bitness of Windows?

Was your previous Win10 a 32 or 64-bit edition? I suppose that with a new MotherBoard, and reinstall of Windows 10, you're now running the 64-bit edition.

Note that Mathcad 8 through15 are 32-bit applications, so chances are they require the 32-bit MSXML.

Success!
Luc

Just note that the regular version of Mathcad received support for Windows 10 only starting with the M050 service release.

Pic_5.png

Look like you are having a same problem as me!

What version of MathCad are you using? I am using MathCad 14. I had some problems a while ago when I had to install it on a new computer, but using the patch to version 020 solved them.

Top Tags