cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

MathCAD 15 not fully simplifying

ShaunDensberger
1-Newbie

MathCAD 15 not fully simplifying

I wrote a document for solving a statically indeterminate problem and everything work perfectly except that the values from the find(varr1,varr2..)--> are not in their simpilest forum, as shown in the image.

http://i.imgur.com/8xlle.png

As you can see, it solves for both values, but it does not leave them in the simpliest forum. I also find it rather odd that it uses a mix of SI and Standard Units in the inital solution.

I've tried defining a 1x2 matrix as the find(varr1, varr2), but it flags a "variable is undefined" error. I've also tried using simplify, but that did not help.

Anyone have any idea why the find function isn't simplifying the answer?

5 REPLIES 5

Hello!

Use symbolical operators "float" and "simplify":

Find_float.jpg

P.S. I also corrected the expression for the displacement/deflection - added the multiplication sign.

Edit.jpg

Shaun,
In addition to Vladimir,

You are using US system, but your default is set to SI, change default to US and the mixed system will clear up.

I have added some comments, but, near as I can tell, there are some problems with some of the equations. One error is that a multiplication is actually defined as a function - MB() rather than MB*() -. But I have some question about the set up, you might want to review.

I changed to functions because I had better luck that way, but don't know if you need to.

Wayne

I would also like to note that when copying an answer from the "Find" for the reaction of "Rb" you forgot about the sign "-":

Sign.jpg

wayne
3-Visitor
(To:VladimirN)

Good work Vladimir,

Just note that, as defined in the figures, Rb cannot be negative. Not a problem with Mathcad, but the setup?

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:wayne)

Wayne Reid wrote:

... Not a problem with Mathcad, but the setup?

With the initial equations which were used by the user. I think.

Top Tags