cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

MathCAD Prime 1.0 is a step back

WalterSchrabmai
7-Bedrock

MathCAD Prime 1.0 is a step back

Hi friends,

well I just must realize, that Prime is a step backward. One the one hand important functions are missing and on the other hand all the experts out in the communities who has Mathcad 14/15 can not work with the MathCad Prime worksheets as it is not backward compatibility.

I think PTC must improve PRIME quite a lot, as now the userbility is other but not better. Where is the useful collabsable region feature in Prime?

comments are welcome.

Walter

281 REPLIES 281

Тут я порылся в Интернете - искал отзывы о SMath.

Есть такое мнение людей, которым я доверяю: "К сожалению, SMath Studio пока сыроват и пройдёт ещё пару лет, прежде чем он составит достойную конкуренцию Mathcad'у".

Но Mathcad (Prime) тоже не стоит на месте. И я думаю, "через пару лет" он будет вполне работоспособен. А пока есть Mathcad 15!

Translation:

Then I dug around on the internet - looking for feedback on SMath.
There is an opinion of people I trust: "Unfortunately, SMath Studio dampish and yet it will still be

a couple of years before he will compete Mathcad."
But Mathcad (Prime) is also not standing still. And I think "a couple of years," it will be quite efficient. And while there is Mathcad 15!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

But Mathcad (Prime) is also not standing still. And I think "a couple of years," it will be quite efficient. And while there is Mathcad 15!

Good point.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Very good Valery. I believe Mathcad Prime 5.0 will be much better than Mathcad 15. PTC are looking at implementing scripted components in Mathcad Prime 3.0 along with additional features, which will bring the product much closer to M15. But in all honestly I think they will have it nailed and some by Prime 5.0.

Mike

MikeArmstrong wrote:

...I believe Mathcad Prime 5.0 will be much better than Mathcad 15...

So, Mathcad Prime is a step forward?

step-forward.jpg

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

At the present time I would say no, nut having seem the advantages PTC have made with Creo compared to the old ProEng I would have to say yes.

Mike

But SMath (Russian Mathcad) has a distinct advantage over all Mathcads - Smath operates in Internet on-line:

SMath.PNG

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I've never used SMath but that does seem a good feature, but wouldn't do much good for me.

Mike

Scott Milligan wrote:

Hah, Hah...I hope for everyone living in Russia that times are better now?

Thanks!

For all different.
We have always difficult times in Russia.
Why? We have a very "difficult" people.

Scott Milligan wrote:

In USA there is an old joke told when tired of waiting for something you have been promised, one exclaims at the sky; "what, am I Russian that I should wait so long to buy a nice car?"

Scott

One modern joke (I have heard it in USA)

An american car is very good car if... you have not seen a german or japanese one.

I do not understand why a company would come up with a new program that is not compatible with previous versions of the software! The sort of person who uses Mathcad is not out for a lark. They are going to have years, maybe decades, of previous programs written, and the fear of losing access to them with a software upgrade is very real! There, at the very least, needs to be a very powerful converter from old version programs to Prime! And there also needs to be a very dedicated staff to assist when that converter program fails!

So unless PTC is willing to spend the resources to do this, Matlab is only a step away! But like I said, who would roll those dice (other than PTC management?)

Rich,

Take a look at the blog I just posted about converting earlier versions of Mathcad worksheets into Mathcad Prime 2.0. http://blogs.ptc.com/2012/04/09/converting-your-worksheets-to-mathcad-prime-2-0-in-3-easy-steps/

Mathcad Prime 2.0 does have a very powerful converter that can convert individual worksheets, or batch process many worksheets from all previous versions of Mathcad.

Try it out,

Mona

DonP
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

Why must it have a converter? It should simply open older worksheets - the conversion process should be invisible to the user.

d

mzeftel
1-Newbie
(To:DonP)

Donald,

Because Mathcad Prime is a totally new front end and new user interface, we aren't able to open older Mathcad worksheets directly. We do some conversion processing behind the scenes.

I am closing this thread since it's becoming about Mathcad Prime 2.0, rather than Mathcad Prime 1.0, and there's no way to change the title.

I waited a day before doing so.

Mona

Top Tags