cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

MathCAD Prime 2.0 to 3.0 Upgrade - License

jmiller-6
2-Guest

MathCAD Prime 2.0 to 3.0 Upgrade - License

Afternoon,

Have a quick question that might be better suited to the community than opening a ticket. I'm looking to upgrade four of our MathCAD users from MathCAD Prime 2.0 to 3.0. My question is in regards to the license. In the past, I've installed MathCAD 15 & MathCAD Prime 3.0 for users, where you associate the later installation with the former's license file (point to).

As for upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0, I've never attempted this yet. During installation, do I point to the existing license file (2.0)? Also, do I install 3.0 and uninstall 2.0 afterwards or is there an "upgrade" option? I've look througn most of the "FAQ" documents and small PDF articles and haven't been able to locate any concrete information.

Thanks,

Jordan

5 REPLIES 5

I assume that the existing license file will not be valid for Prime 3 and you would have to generate a new one if you are under maintanance.

Installation of Prime 3 doesn't affect the Prime 2 installation - the two versions will coexist in parallal. Only the converter of Prime 2 will be damaged and you will not be able anymore to convert MC15 and older files to Prime 2 format, you only will be able to convert them to Prime3. This may be an issue if not all your users are upgraded to Prime 3 and still are in need to cowork on a project. This situation also may be a reason to keep both P2 and P3. P3 can open P2 files, but it can only save them in P3 format which P2 can't edit (you see an empty page in P2). Whenever a file is saved with P3 there is no chance to convert it back to P2 format.

I guess that uninstalling P2 after P3 installation should be no problem but I don't know for sure as I never tried it. Either both versions still are on the machine or I would have unsinstalled P2 before P3 installation.

Werner Exinger wrote:

I assume that the existing license file will not be valid for Prime 3 and you would have to generate a new one if you are under maintanance...

That's right.

please can any body in the house explain to me how to upgrade mathcad prime 3.0, so that all the features can start working? I just install it now, but som features are not working. the software said I need to upgrade my license.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:wilsonagbamu)

How do you mean 'upgrade prime 3' ?
If you want to go from prime 3 to the current version, prime 4, you have to pay for a new license. If you installed 4 without a license you have prime 4 express which lacks a good deal of functionality wrt a fully licensed prime. And you may still have a fully functional prime 3, possibly except the possibility to convert real mathcad (15 or less) files to prime.

Success!
Luc

You can purchase additional license through a PTC's software reseller in your local region: https://www.ptc.com/en/partners/find-your-partner

Top Tags