cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

MathCAD Prime 4.0 usability.

Worldtraveller
1-Newbie

MathCAD Prime 4.0 usability.

See this discussion:  

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=439172

As a first pass, if I'm going to even think about paying for the new version of MathCAD, it needs to be able to have the functionality of the version I'm replacing (11 or 12, I think). 

All (and I mean ALL) of the keymapping and defaults seem to be gone, except for the universal Windows based hotkeys/shortcuts. 

Is there a way, within the current free trial version, to remap the keyboard shortcuts for things like superscripts, subscripts (both text and actual matrix based subscripts) in such a way that I don't have to relearn all new shortcuts to software that I've been using over 20 years? 

Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

@Worldtraveller wrote:

See this discussion:  

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=439172

No! I made the experience quite a while ago that the mods there are changing and/or deleting posts without any notice to a degree that it made a thread useless. Not exactly what I would call a serious behavior. So I will not visit this site anymore.

As a first pass, if I'm going to even think about paying for the new version of MathCAD, it needs to be able to have the functionality of the version I'm replacing (11 or 12, I think).

Good luck! Prime 5 will be out soon (July 14th ?) and all it will give us are some (sure urgently needed) improvements of 2D-plots. Its ridiculous but true - we have to wait for Version 5 of the program to finally get so "complicated" things like grids in 2D-plots, axis labels and a second ordinate axis.
If you really want to wait until Prime lives up to Mathcad 11 (best Mathcad ever in the eyes of many; Mathcad 12 is considered to be the worst) and given the snail's pace of development by PTC, I guess you will have to wait for Prime 50 - so keep on using real Mathcad and forget about Prime (of course it depends an what features of good old Mathcad you are exactly using and expecting from Prime).

All (and I mean ALL) of the keymapping and defaults seem to be gone, except for the universal Windows based hotkeys/shortcuts.

Not all (e.g. [ remained for vector index), but most of them and generally working with Prime is much more complicated and slower than we were used to. Having to use the awkward ribbon menus so often instead of having floating palettes, etc. slows down work significantly.

Is there a way, within the current free trial version, to remap the keyboard shortcuts for things like superscripts, subscripts (both text and actual matrix based subscripts) in such a way that I don't have to relearn all new shortcuts to software that I've been using over 20 years?

Simple answer - NO. Neither in the free Express, nor in the paid for full version.

Customization seems to be something PTC does not like (or is not able to) implement. Just look at grid size, page margins, the more than unfavorable colors used, ....

Top Tags