cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

(Mathcad 15.0) Changing solve output format

MichalPribil
4-Participant

(Mathcad 15.0) Changing solve output format

Hello,

when I use solve, is there any way to hide/format the solve output? Namely, printing "->  24.109V" in the following example instead of the crazy fractional output that bloats the document and reduces it's readability?

MichalPribil_0-1594206960729.png

Thank you all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Only the numerical algorithms in Mathcad understand units;  "solve" doesn't.  

Best to define function before specifying data.  For example:

g0.jpg

Alan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Only the numerical algorithms in Mathcad understand units;  "solve" doesn't.  

Best to define function before specifying data.  For example:

g0.jpg

Alan

If you really want the symbolic to yield a nicer result, you have to teach the symbolic a little bit about the units you are using.

Main problem in your case seems to be the inability of the symbolic to cancel mA and A as they are treated as two completely different variables.

You can teach the symbolic how to deal with them either by using the substitute modifier or by redefining one of the units sing the other (does not work always as desired).

You may also imit the number of significant digits by using the "float" modifier, but this should be done with care (or avoided) as "float" affects not only the displayed result, but the accuracy of the whole calculation!

Werner_E_0-1594260489149.png

MichalPribil
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Too bad that I cannot mark multiple solutions (as it seems) because this one is also very useful.

In my particular case, the 'substitute, solve' works the best as K.1, K.2 also come from a solve and as far as I can tell, I cannot control their units afterwards.

Good thing is that I can also use the 'substitute, solve' in the original (K.1 K.2) calculation, which makes their result look better and then I can do just 'solve' for V.140A (I'm sure you would advise me to do it this way if I had shown the full calculation, which I thought to be irrelevant).

2020-07-09 09_04_47-Window.png

Top Tags