cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Mathcad 15 License Environment Variable?

mengineering
4-Participant

Mathcad 15 License Environment Variable?

We have many computers with Mathcad 15 on them that the students use. The problem is that the software needs to be licensed through each user's account individually throught the Mathcad License Setup wizard, in which we configure it to use a FlexLM server and enter our server name with port 7788. This is very impractical when it comes to lab computers that hundreds of students use. I have seen that with other software there are environment variables for licensing that make the license universal for all users. I have tried things like LM_LICENSE_FILE or PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE with the value "7788@(our server)" but this doesn't work. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whelp, I neglected to put the "7788@" part before the server name in the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. It works fine now. Hopefully this can be useful for someone else.

EDIT 8/3/17:

After a few weeks, I have found that PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE is a better variable name to go with, as LM_LICENSE_FILE is widely used by other programs. I found that LM_LICENSE_FILE conflicted specifically with the licensing of a program called LabView. Using PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE with the value "7788@servername" solved those licesning conflicts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

A Flex license is never dedicated to a specific user.

How did you install Mathcad on those machines? Did you chose the flex-server during installation?

mengineering
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Okay, that's interesting. Yes, I did, but it seems like it defaults back to putting "localhost" as the server after installation so it launches the wizard upon running the program.

Thats strange.

We rolled out an installation configuerd for a flex license to a few hundreds of machines and did not experience any problems.

It was only until later that we began to use the environment variable to point Mathcad to two redundent flex server so it will take the second when the first failed or need too long to answer. Works pretty well

mengineering
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Interesting... Well, thanks for your correspondence!

Whelp, I neglected to put the "7788@" part before the server name in the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. It works fine now. Hopefully this can be useful for someone else.

EDIT 8/3/17:

After a few weeks, I have found that PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE is a better variable name to go with, as LM_LICENSE_FILE is widely used by other programs. I found that LM_LICENSE_FILE conflicted specifically with the licensing of a program called LabView. Using PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE with the value "7788@servername" solved those licesning conflicts.

Top Tags