cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Mathcad 15 Student won't launch on Windows 10

brabe
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 Student won't launch on Windows 10

I bought a textbook that came with an unused CD of Mathcad 15 M010; never used MathCad but it seemed interesting. Tried installing it on my Windows 10 laptop; it told me I was running Windows XP. Followed directions found here to fix that; it apparently installed correctly and took the product code,, so I assume I have a license. However when I try to launch the program nothing happens. Things I've tried so far:

1) run as an administrator

2) run in Windows 7 compatibility mode

3) uninstall and reinstall

The only thing that has any effect at all is running in administrator mode, which gives me a splash screen that says "Do you want this software from an unknown publisher to make changes on your computer?" but nothing further happens after that. This isn't a desperate situation; I'm not trying to use the software for work or school, but I wouldn't mid it if it would work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

So even if there is a (newer) version of MSXML running in your windows 10, the specific prerequired version must (also) be installed.

(Support for MSXML 6.0 was added in the M040 release of Mathcad 15, older releases require the old version of MSXML.)

From the knowledge base:

1. Launching Mathcad 15.0 yields error "Mathcad application has stopped working".

Cause: Mathcad 15.0 prerequisite “MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK” not installed.

Solution 1: Install the MSXML 4.0 by running the file "msxml.msi". It  can also be downloaded from URL below:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en

Launch Mathcad. If the issue persists, try Solution 2.

Solution 2: Rename the “msxml4.dll” file from the location “C:\windows\system32” and reboot the machine. Then follow steps as in Solution 1.

If that doesn't help you may also want to check the prerequired version of .Net is installed.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:brabe)

You may want to check if (the correct version of!) MSXML is running.

Re: Mathcad and Windows 7 says:

"MSXML Version 4, Service Pack 2 ... is a prerequisite for both versions of Mathcad under Windows 7"

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

So even if there is a (newer) version of MSXML running in your windows 10, the specific prerequired version must (also) be installed.

(Support for MSXML 6.0 was added in the M040 release of Mathcad 15, older releases require the old version of MSXML.)

From the knowledge base:

1. Launching Mathcad 15.0 yields error "Mathcad application has stopped working".

Cause: Mathcad 15.0 prerequisite “MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK” not installed.

Solution 1: Install the MSXML 4.0 by running the file "msxml.msi". It  can also be downloaded from URL below:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en

Launch Mathcad. If the issue persists, try Solution 2.

Solution 2: Rename the “msxml4.dll” file from the location “C:\windows\system32” and reboot the machine. Then follow steps as in Solution 1.

If that doesn't help you may also want to check the prerequired version of .Net is installed.

Success!
Luc

Thanks, Solution 1 worked.

Top Tags