cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad 15 to Mathcad Prime 3 Converter

ptc-6781831
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 to Mathcad Prime 3 Converter

Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and I have 2 questions. I tried searching the discussions

for the answers but I was not able to find the complete answers.

Please excuse me if I missed something.

I would very much appreacite it if someone could help me with the following :

1. We recently started using MathCad 15. We soon realized that we needed a 64 bit version of the tool.

According to what I read, I understand that MathCad 15 cannot be invoked in 64 bit more.

Is this correct ?

2. To solve the problem above I installed Mathcad Prime 3 on the computer which also has Mathcad 15.

Both versions presently coexist on this computer. I tried loading an xcmd file into Mathcad Prime 3 and

got a message saying that I first had top convert the file to MCD format using the converter button on the

the Input/Output tab on the ribbon. Unfortunately, this tab is DISABLED (not highlighted) and so I cannot

invoke it.

I read in one discussion that for this to work, both Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime 3 had to be installed on

the same computer. This is exactly what I have.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could explain to me how to overcome this problem.

Thank you so much for all your help,

Goel

6 REPLIES 6

Goel Samuel wrote:

Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and I have 2 questions. I tried searching the discussions

for the answers but I was not able to find the complete answers.

Please excuse me if I missed something.

I would very much appreacite it if someone could help me with the following :

1. We recently started using MathCad 15. We soon realized that we needed a 64 bit version of the tool.

Why?

According to what I read, I understand that MathCad 15 cannot be invoked in 64 bit more.

Is this correct ?

No! Mathcad 15 does work in 64 bit OS. Its simply that PTC does not guarantees operation in modern OS (not even Prime 3 in Win 8). According to what I read to should be changed with Mathcad 15 M040 next year which is supposed to support current Windows versions. Nevertheless Mathcad 15 itself will remain a 32 bit software.

2. To solve the problem above I installed Mathcad Prime 3 on the computer which also has Mathcad 15.

Both versions presently coexist on this computer. I tried loading an xcmd file into Mathcad Prime 3 and

got a message saying that I first had top convert the file to MCD format using the converter button on the

the Input/Output tab on the ribbon. Unfortunately, this tab is DISABLED (not highlighted) and so I cannot

invoke it.

Have you licensed the software or are you using Prime in Express mode? In the first case I would suggest contacting PTC support as it should work.

By this I mean that you should able to invoke the converter. Chances are that the converted file will not work as expected as Prime is just a subset of Mathcad 15 and is missing a lot of features. So only very basic worksheets will convert OK, others will require manual modifications and work arounds to get them work and others may not be converted at all. Given the current speed Prime is develeoped at we cannot assume the Prime will live up to Mathcad 15 in foreseeable future.

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply. To answer your question :

We believe we need a 64 bit version of Mathcad so the software can access more memory than the 32 bit version allowing our computation to run faster.

I contacted the support as you suggested and the solution to my conversion problem was to install Mathcad 15 010 instead of the Mathcad 15 005 which I was using.

It is disappointing to learn the Prime is only a subset of Mathcad 15, I really hope that this subset will be sufficient in our case.

Thank you again for you very informative reply, I appreciate your assistance very much.

Best regards,

Goel

Glad you could solve your problem by installing a more recent Mathcad 15 version. Current version is M030, so I guess M010 is the minimum requirement, but as you are under maintainance you should be better off loading and installing the current M030. You should be able to download it from the regular download loacation but you can as well use this: http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/thank-you

Concerning calculation speed it could be that you are disappointed. Usually Prime is slower than Mathcad. Enabling multithreading in Prime may speed up calculation on some occasions. I can't tell from own experience but from what I read here, the effect of Multithreading is not overwhelming, if at all. You will have to give it a try yourself. Of course Prime 64 bit sure should help if you run into "not enough memory" problems with MC15.

Hope you get your files running in Prime - good luck!

Dear Sir,

Again I thank you very much for all your helpful information. Without doubt it will help us set up the configuration which suits us best.

One last question if I may. Do you know if the free trial version is the same as the "paid" version and if it will continue running after the trial period ? (We have licensed the software and I am asking as downloading from the link you supplied will save me a bit of time).

Thank you for all your assistance,

Kind regards,

Goel

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6781831)

The version of Mathcad at the URL Werner gave you is the full version of Mathcad 15 M030. If you have a valid license then it will be fully enabled, indefinitely.

Going to Prime will not speed up your calculations, except maybe in a few cases where you have many very large matrices, and are therefore running out of memory with Mathcad 15, or where multithreading might make a difference. It may be possible to significantly speed up the calculations by making changes in the worksheet though, but of course to help with that we would have to see the worksheet.

Dear Richard,

Thank you your answer and the other information.

I was able to download Mathcad 15 M030 directly from the company's download area without much delay.

We will review our worksheet to check if we can make any optimizations and contact you if we need any help.

Thank you for all your support.

Kind regards,

Goel

Top Tags