cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2023 - Electrical Engineering

DaveMartin
16-Pearl

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2023 - Electrical Engineering

This month’s challenge is electrical engineering related, but with multiple voltage potential sources in addition to resistors. See the image below.

Scenario 1. We have a circuit with a motor (modeled as a 100 Ohm resistor), a 6V voltage source, and a 100 Ohm resistor. Calculate the current in the motor and the resistor.

Scenario 2. We add another loop, with an additional 8V voltage source and a 120 Ohm resistor. Calculate the current in the motor and the two resistors.

Scenario 3. We add another loop, with an additional 10V voltage source and a 140 Ohm resistor. Calculate the current in the motor and the three resistors.

Scenario 4. We add another loop, with an additional 12V voltage source and a 160 Ohm resistor. Calculate the current in the motor and the four resistors.

Superposition Image.png

Note that these situations cannot be reduced to a combination of series or parallel resistors. There is a principle called Superposition you can apply instead.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Mathcad techniques can be applied to this problem!

Please refer to the PTC Mathcad Community Challenge Index and Guidelines for a list of rules for these challenges, as well as a listing of the previous challenges.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
19 REPLIES 19

Note that these situations cannot be reduced to a combination of series or parallel resistors.

Maybe I misunderstood the goal, but why shouldn't we be able to use basic Kirchhoff?

Werner_E_3-1677710144928.png

Here is a Prime function to work with resistance- and voltage-vectors of arbitrary length

Werner_E_4-1677711539057.pngWerner_E_5-1677711586634.png

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:DaveMartin)

My Attempt:

ppal_0-1677731176506.png

Prime 4 Express solution attached

Modified to add explanation.

Prime 8 Express Solution:

March2023.png

ppal
17-Peridot

Using Solve Block

ppal_0-1677793863421.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Millman's theorem for node voltage analysis. Prime 8.

image.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:ttokoro)

With circuit.

image.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Add arrows.

image.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

The one of Prime 9.

image.png

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hello everyone!
In scenario 1 I applied the voltage divider formula, in the other three the Millman theorem.

Answer to DMartin.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:-MFra-)

Work in progress!!!

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hello everyone!
I present a method of analysis of linear electric networks, of great generality. (File .xmcd attached).tableau0.jpgtableau1.jpgtableau2.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Network analysis based on cut sets:

Network8.jpg

Network9.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

It apply to resistive networks  only.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

In the worksheet I attached earlier, function ∅1 was missing. Now I have added ∅1 to the new worksheet attached here below:

March has... five working days remaining, so same applies for this challenge!

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

We've published the solutions blog covering your responses here! (And badges have been distributed.)

https://www.mathcad.com/en/blogs/community-challenge-multiple-voltage-sources

Look forward to the next challenge. 🙂

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
Top Tags