cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2024 - Perimeter of an Ellipse

DaveMartin
16-Pearl

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2024 - Perimeter of an Ellipse

I am shocked that I have walked the surface of this planet for over 5 decades without realizing that there is no exact closed-form solution for the perimeter of an ellipse. In school, we learn the perimeter of shapes like triangles, squares, rectangles, circles, parallelograms, and so on, but I feel like schools and teachers conveniently skipped over ellipses.

(An ellipse, in case it’s been a while, is the set of points where the sum of the distances from two points – the foci – is a constant.)

DaveMartin_0-1709255800267.png

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to correct that oversight. Create a Mathcad worksheet that:

• Derives, depicts, or shows one (or more) of the various approximation formulas / methods for the perimeter of an ellipse.
  • Create a calculator whereby someone can change the values of the semi-major and semi-minor axis lengths in order to find the perimeter.
  • Create a 3D plot of the perimeter as a function of the ellipse semi-major and semi-minor axis lengths.

Although there is no exact solution for the perimeter of an ellipse, this is a fairly well-documented problem. Therefore, your documentation in your worksheet is key! This worksheet should be able to stand on its own and be understood by someone with a basic knowledge of calculus (since integrals and infinite series are involved).

Good luck and have fun!

Find the Mathcad Community Challenge Guidelines here!

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
35 REPLIES 35

Not the right expression for the kernel of the integral Fred.  Should be as follows:

ellipse.png

Alan

Thanks Alan.

For pointing out my error.  I suspected it would be clear once it was pointed out.

The March 2024 Mathcad Challenge is now closed. Thanks, everyone, for participating in this challenge. Quite a lot of activity on this one. 

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

https://www.mathcad.com/en/blogs/community-challenge-perimeter-of-ellipse

Here is the write-up! Thanks again to everyone that participated!

Stay tuned for May...

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
LarryJ
7-Bedrock
(To:DJNewman)

Hi DJ Newman, 

I am not sure how to put this out to the PTC Mathcad community but here goes.

I know that the "community challenge for the perimeter of an ellipse" has ended but building on previous submittals, I though the attached might be of interest to the community. Especially in terms of the accuracy of the various methods versus numerical and symbolic solutions. See attached Mathcad Prime 10 results.  

Thanks

DJNewman
17-Peridot
(To:LarryJ)

Cool worksheet! I appreciate it and I think the Community will too.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
Top Tags