cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Mathcad Prime 3.0 READPRN not working properly

ptc-5455971
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 3.0 READPRN not working properly

Hello,

I am having a trouble with the Mathcad Prime 3.0 function READPRN.

It is just a simple test atm. I first define a Matrix, write it to a file with WRITEPRN and then read it again with READPRN. It works fine as long I use standard two dimensional matrices. But I need it to write/read a matrix whose elements are matrices themselve ( I thinks its called nested matrix). Anyway, the WRITEPRN function works fine again, but the READPRN causes the Mathcad to crash most of the time. It shows me a windows error message saying "PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 has stopped working" and gives me the option to close the pogram.

I would really appreciate some help on the this issue.

I am using:

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit

Mathcad Prime 3.0 64 bit (Trail Verison)

Attached is a example that is not working for me. (prn_ex)

EDIT: The second example is working. (prn_ex_working)

Thanks in advance

Eric

10 REPLIES 10

I can only confirm that your first example crashes Prime for me, too. Prime 3.0, Win XP, 32 bit

Werner Exinger schrieb:

I can only confirm that your first example crashes Prime for me, too. Prime 3.0, Win XP, 32 bit

I actually consider this good news, since I spend some time serching the web and didn't find anyone experiencing the same issue.

After some testing I found out that the READPRN function is not causing the crash. In fact, printing the read matrix seems to be the problem. So i tried printing just the the elementes of the matrix, which worked in most cases. Those that didn't print gave a Mathcad error message saying that the array index is invalid (atleast no more crashes). From what I can tell the dimensions of the element-matrix determines whether it gives an error or not. So I checked if I can read the dimensions of these elements using cols() and rows(), which in fact gave me the right result.

I feel very close to finding out what causes this issue. But I am reconsidering upgrading to Mathcad Prime from Mathcad 15.0.

Attached is a worksheet showing these tests.

It seems that if any element of the first row is a matrix the error is thrown. Sure a nasty Prime bug.

If I ask how many columns are in the first row of G, Prime hangs and has to be "closed" via taskmanager (the picture was take when the first row contained scalars only).

14.01.png

So I checked if I can read the dimensions of these elements using cols() and rows(), which in fact gave me the right result.

You may also compare the file content with a file created by MC15 to see if its the read or the write routine which is faulty. Or try to load a file written by P3 in MC15 and/or vice versa.

But I am reconsidering upgrading to Mathcad Prime from Mathcad 15.0.

IMHO there are a number of good reasons not to upgrade to Prime.

You may also compare the file content with a file created by MC15 to see if its the read or the write routine which is faulty. Or try to load a file written by P3 in MC15 and/or vice versa.

PRN files written with MC15 and Prime look exactly the same, it is definitly the READ function causing the problem.

Anyway, I am not going to spend more time trying to find a solution, since it works fine in MC15. Though it would be nice if they could fix this issue by Prime 4.0. But I can not open a case in their support Center while I am just a trial user.

I am aware that it might not be difficult to implement a workaround, but in my opinion something like this should not be necessary.

If someone does find a simple solution I would be happy to read it.

Regards,

Eric

But I can not open a case in their support Center while I am just a trial user.

Thats a sad situation that PTC doesn't show much interest in improving and bugfixing their software. How else could it be expained that you have to pay for the privilege to turn in bug reports.

I am aware that it might not be difficult to implement a workaround, but in my opinion something like this should not be necessary.

Fully agreed.

Eric Schellenberger wrote:

...But I can not open a case in their support Center while I am just a trial user...

Try this link:

http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterOpt.htm

http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenter.htm

Pic_1.png

Ah, I haven't noticed that until now. Nice to see that PTC will now accept bug reports from users without a valid maintainance - at least for Prime Express.

Try this link:

http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterOpt.htm

http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenter.htm

I didn't open a case there, because it is meant, form what a can see, only for installation and licensing issues. But I guess it is better then nothing and so I opned one now. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Thank you.

SPR with high priority was opened for this case.

Same bug by using Win7 32-bit and Prime 3.0. I sent this worksheet to technical support.

Top Tags