cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Mathcad Prime 7.0

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mathcad Prime 7.0

New release date for Mathcad Prime 7.0:

Pic_1.png

87 REPLIES 87

A lot of the people raising very valid points about P7 (and PTC's inability to deliver) are professionals. We are paid to do what we do ( apart from a  few retired folks who are keen on passing their knowledge which is highly commendable) not students. Flagging a pdf capability is laughable.

I am just concerned about the pile of mcad sheets I have and I guess will have to take some actions.

The integration with CREO is also dubious. It looks good on paper but a lot of CAD guys would struggle in setting some sort or simple parametric mcad sheet to "feed"  a CAD model.

PDFs from Prime, yeah big deal.

Another big deal is Creo integration. That was already possible in Mathcad 15 but rarely used. Main reason seems (as you indicate) nobody trusts a calculation to tamper with their Creo model especially if you can't easily check how this 23.55 mm shaft diametre came to be.

BTW, I haven't got a proper answer from PTC whether I need to start Creo in order to open the mathcad sheet. Does anybody know if that is necessary?

Thank you for your positive energy  to PTC  and Prime 7.  I have been watching from Prime 1 to now.
Yes, there are many changes that differ from timelines . 

As I stand back and imagine if I  am part of the software development role, I can understand the time needed to make perfection on the transition to Prime.  Yes, we all hope they can speed up.

I have many clients  that build all their files from MC 14, into MC 15 years, and over decades, and to transit the files to Prime was not easy. The converter don't fully faithful.  Hence they only can use Prime for new project and

retype lots of old files use Prime. Is tough.  Now the Prime 7 , it said need not installed the MC 15 parallel to Prime 7, and the converter will do the conversion faithfully.  I do have concern how " faithful is faithful"  In the webcast, it said " if one see the redline define error in conversion, just go to top toolbar and click on one button, that will erase all the red line, and will save as new file, all will be fine. "   There are many different components that my client uses in different segment in civil, electrical, mechanical  and chemical engineering, and is very broad base across different usage, different formulas, and not sure how possible the thorough testing is done. And how will the support be if error occur.  I certainly hope the road is less bumpy and we all see light at the end of tunnel, as many users of Mathcad are not new, some way back to 30 years ago.

And I was right saying they would just wake up in February and kick the can down the road.

this sounds good. however, i'm retired and the price is too high. they don't have a hobby use license. i refuse to rent software. so if they stick to that, i will never upgrade to it. the biggest thing that no one talks about is the difference in built in help. the best thing about mathcad, for me, was the built in help and the old forum worksheets. without those, i never would have been able to use mathcad the way that i did. prime help sucks. then they link to the crap they put on the new forum. all they have to do is take the old mathcad help system and put it in prime. but nope. another terrible decision. no one can recommend mathcad to anyone based on the long history of terrible decisions by ptc. lets face it, after mathsoft was bought by ptc, nothing good has happened.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:prop_design)

@prop_design wrote:

i refuse to rent software. so if they stick to that, i will never upgrade to it.

Agreed. I don't pay someone for the right to access my own IP.

@prop_design wrote:

the biggest thing that no one talks about is the difference in built in help. the best thing about mathcad, for me, was the built in help and the old forum worksheets. without those, i never would have been able to use mathcad the way that i did.

Goodbye ebooks! Those will never happen under PTC's watch. They personally told me as much.

@prop_design wrote:

lets face it, after mathsoft was bought by ptc, nothing good has happened.

NASA just put a new rover on Mars 😃. I bet they didn't use Prime for the calculations though 🤔

If Nasa had used mathcad prime, they would've landed on mars a while ago. If they start to use mathcad prime 7 at release; they will not only completely colonize mars but also land on pluto by converting their worksheets into pdf😉

From Wikipedia:

The Mars Climate Orbiter (formerly the Mars Surveyor '98 Orbiter) was a 638-kilogram (1,407 lb)[1] robotic space probe launched by NASA on December 11, 1998 to study the Martian climateMartian atmosphere, and surface changes and to act as the communications relay in the Mars Surveyor '98 program for Mars Polar Lander. However, on September 23, 1999, communication with the spacecraft was permanently lost as it went into orbital insertion. The spacecraft encountered Mars on a trajectory that brought it too close to the planet, and it was either destroyed in the atmosphere or escaped the planet's vicinity and entered an orbit around the sun.[2] An investigation attributed the failure to a measurement mismatch between two software systems: metric units by NASA and non-metric ("English") units by spacecraft builder Lockheed Martin.[3]

The joke in the Mathsoft Collaboratory at that time was that they hadn't used Mathcad, since Mathcad has always been unit aware.

Originally developed at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory:

Update: https://www.mathcad.com/en/blogs/whats-in-prime-7

Combo-box input:

combo-box.png

Symbolics:

symbolics.png

PDF:

pdf.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VladimirN)

The referenced page is puzzling (what from PTC isn't?):

At the start it says: "Attention engineers, ...: Mathcad Prime 7 is almost here!"

And towards the end: "Download Mathcad Prime 7 Today" followed by a link to "GET MATHCAD EXPRESS FREE".

(: This brings me to a form where I can apply for....

Mathcad Prime 6.

I wonder how much time they think a reader will spend on reading that blog post from start to end.

Luc

EDIT: Oh, now I see it. this was posted Feb 27, and the expected reading time is 5 minutes.

I thought the release date was 2nd of March but still not out yet

Hi,

I totally take responsibility for this. I'm not even going to try to come up with excuses. I just blew the post. 

I fixed it now so there isn't a link to the old download page and I try to make it clearer that Mathcad 7 is not quite here yet.

Thanks for calling attention to it. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Cat McClintock

And the combo box (like the third party graphing app) doesn't support units!  If I use a table, and a text box to prompt a choice, even Express can do better:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1614874814709.png

If I were going to use on of these controls, I'd want to be able to put my choices

Fred_Kohlhepp_1-1614874940149.png

inside a closed, LOCKED area so the units don't get messed up.  (Can you say, "NASA Mars flyby?")

I just found that Prime 7 is available for download...let's see what it's got in it...

Fingers crossed!

Came here to confirm that it's officially out.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VladimirN)

Seems to be accessible only for maintenance customers at the moment...

I have been asking (with no reply) if Express (an unlicensed Prime) would survive the release of 7.0.

Maybe this is indicative!

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

I have been asking (with no reply) if Express (an unlicensed Prime) would survive the release of 7.0.

Maybe this is indicative!

I wonder what the uptake of Express is?

Of course, not being a commercial user and having to answer to Officer Commanding Household for large financial outgoings, I'd like to see a Mathcad Prime 7.0 Home User Licence, with pricing along the lines of Matlab's home licencing ...

Stuart

agreed. mathworks and maplesoft both have reasonable home use/hobby licenses. until that happens, never trying prime.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Found the entry in the maze of PTC website:

https://www.mathcad.com/en/try-and-buy/mathcad-express-free-download

Great!  Luc found the link to Prime 7 Express!

So I went there.  Prime would download a full version of 7, after 30 days revert to an Express version.  Just what I wanted!

Downloaded and launched the web installer, waited ~15 minutes while files downloaded.  Then got a message that the 32 bit version choked on my 64 bit Windows 10, contact PTC user support.

. . . Oh, well. . .

Update:  Found an icon on my desktop, now have Prime 7.0 for 29 days . . .

When I installed Prime 6.0 the license for 30 days also extended to 4.0.  That did not happen this time.

Conversion of an old Mathcad sheet is attached.  Note that plots seem to have problems.

Seeing his name - does anyone knows what happened to Tom Gutman?

Mt. Gutman became disillusioned by Prime and  abandoned the forum.

I think that he got more disappointed by the new forum or more that the contents from the old sub forums wasn't being kept and that was why he left. But leaving is one thing - disappearing completely another.

I did email him a couple of years after he "unfriended" the forum, but got no reply.

I've always wondered how my old sparring partner from Quebec, Jean Giraud, was doing after the forum unfriended him ...  I'm sure there's a Radio Yerevan joke in there somewhere. 

Cheers, 

Stuart.

There is a Jean Giraud prominent and proficient on the Smath forum.

Sacré Bleu! c'est vrai, c'est jmG lui-même!
Top Tags