cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Need help with FFT function

DJV
3-Visitor
3-Visitor

Need help with FFT function

I am using MathCAD for the first time today, and have a problem that requires your assistance.  I have to create a waveshape, and I do so, but the points are separated by 1 unit, not the 1 microsecond units that  are the reality.  For this reason, I have no idea what the output of the FFT X axis is.  I've given it no frequency reference, so is it using 1 Hz as the basis for the difference between each point I've entered (not the truth).  I'd like to know how to get this software to accept 1 microsecond as the difference between each point that I enter.  I also need to know how to interpret the output of the FFT. 

The spreadsheet is here:

Re: How do I change the graph in the attached file... - PTC Community

There are various example mathCAD sheets attached.  I've tried various things, but can't get them to work.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:DJV)

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

All show same dft results. Their fundamental spectrum is same. But the frequency is f.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

An FFT of a vector of observations has no frequency information; it only uses the number of values in the vector.  To assign a frequency you must define the "sampling frequency", or the time interval between the values in the vector..

Attached is a sample sheet done as I transitioned from real Mathcad to Prime Express.  It explains the concept of sampling frequency, then moves on to a whole lot of things you may not care about.

Don't forget--the FFT can only tell the truth at frequencies below half of the sampling frequency (Nyquist frequency), so you need to be sampling pretty fast!  

File is Prime 4.0 Express.

Okay, I knew the Nyquist frequency existed..  So, if I sample at a 1 microsecond interval, my sampling frequency is 1 megaHertz, and the x axis of the MathCAD plot needs to be read in terms of megaHertz.  In other words, the 1 on the output plot is 1 Megahertz?  It plots up to 500 Mhz due to Nyquist limit?

Thank you, sir.  

DJV
3-Visitor
3-Visitor

Sorry that should be up to half a Megahertz as the max frequency.  500 kHz.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

This is your 500 kHz spectra 200 and 201 row. Plot it by green line.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Top Tags