cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Opening .xcmd files

knaraharisetti
1-Newbie

Opening .xcmd files

Hello,

Could anyone please be kind enough to help me solve this simple problem.

I downloaded the free version of PTC mathcad. But, I am unable to open the files ending in .xmcd. These files were created in an older version of mathcad. Not sure which version, but I am unable to open them in the latest PTC mathcad version. Please advise.

Regards,

Kali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PTC software is not like other software

You are not able to open files created with version mathcad 15 or below in Prime. You have to convert those files first to the Prime format. To be able to do so, you must have a full installation of the latest Mathcad 15 on your machine. You can download a 30day trial version you may use to do so.

If you have only very few files to convert you may also ask here in the forum for someone doing the conversion for you.

I guess you have the latest version 3.0 of Prime Express. If not, if you have Prime 2, you must state this in your request for conversion here, as people having installed Prime3 will not be able to convert to Prime2 format and a Prime 3 file cannot converted to version 2 format at all. You know, PTC software is not like ....

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

The latest version of Prime still requires Mathcad 15 to be installed to convert the files.

How many files are you talking about?

PTC software is not like other software

You are not able to open files created with version mathcad 15 or below in Prime. You have to convert those files first to the Prime format. To be able to do so, you must have a full installation of the latest Mathcad 15 on your machine. You can download a 30day trial version you may use to do so.

If you have only very few files to convert you may also ask here in the forum for someone doing the conversion for you.

I guess you have the latest version 3.0 of Prime Express. If not, if you have Prime 2, you must state this in your request for conversion here, as people having installed Prime3 will not be able to convert to Prime2 format and a Prime 3 file cannot converted to version 2 format at all. You know, PTC software is not like ....

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Correction. PTC, as a software company, is doing what others in the industry are doing ... specifically CAD centric companies. Take a look at AutoDESK Revit sometime. It is NOT backwards compatible with itself either.

I agree this is terrible, as one of the nice things about the "old collab" was the help from people using different versions. I might be using version 14, yet, someone still on 11 was able to assist to a large extent.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ELSID)

SolidWorks is hte same way. I have never seen it in any other software though, only CAD packages.

I am lacking the experience concerning CAD software but I rather was thinking on other Math software, graphics programs, simple office suits and not at least Mathcad itself up to version 15.

I guess the problem with Prime and its inability to save in older formats, not even Prime format itself is, that Prime actually is in some kind of experimental beta stadium with lots of changes made. At least thats the impression created. IMO Prime should have never been sold to customers at that stage of development.

We can help to convert them for you.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your immediate replies and your kind help. Let me try installing the 30 day trial version of mathcad 15 as Werner suggested. If that does not open I will come back with my files. There are actually 6 files with .xmcd and 1 file with .mcd extension.

Regards,

Kali

You are welcome to upload the seven files here for conversion if you don't want to install MC15 just to having it uninstall after 30 days. On the other hand you would see how the version of Mathcad, which many of us still prefer over Prime, looks and feels like.

Also you have to be aware that the conversion very often fails (the file is converted but isn't doing what its supposed to do) because even in Version 3 Prime lacks a lot of features compared to Mathcad15. Generally spoken only rather basic sheets will convert painlessly, other will require manual rework and ohers won't work at all. So having Mathcad 15 at hand to see what the file is supposed to do can be a great benefit.

You probably know that als Prime will be in full mode, too, for the first 30 days. After that time (when MC15 simply will refuse to start) Prime transforms into a crippled Express Mode and you will still be allow ed to use it, but a lot of so called premium features are turned off and will not work anymore. These includes symbolic evaluation, programming, solve blocks, advanced functions, 3D plots, etc. If the files you have in mind are using any of those premium feature, those regions won't work anymore.

BTW, if you buy Prime, you get Mathcad15 for free.

Hello Werner,

Fanatastic. I downloaded Mathcad15 and I am able to open all my medieval times files. Thanks alot for all your help.

Thank you Mike and Vladimir for your help as well.

Regards,

Kali

You are welcome

Fanatastic. I downloaded Mathcad15 and I am able to open all my medieval times files. Thanks alot for all your help.

Glad you had success. Keep in mind, though, that the fun will have an end after 30 days.

So if the files do not contain anything not implemented in Prime and nothing which is considered as "premium feature" by PTC, you should convert them quickly in Prime format and hope you can use them using the Express version even after the trial period. Alternatively you may get so enthusiastic over Mathcad that you decide to buy Mathcad 15 and get Prime3 as a free give-away (OK, PTC sees it the other way around, I know 😉

Nobody has highlighted (or I missed it) that if you purchase Prime you are entitled to version 15 at no additional cost, and the thirty day "it won't work anymore" problem goes away.

Buy the tail, get the dog for free!

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Nobody has highlighted (or I missed it) that if you purchase Prime you are entitled to version 15 at no additional cost, and the thirty day "it won't work anymore" problem goes away.

Tried to express that in my last sentence but I prefer seeing it as buying the dog and getting for free whatever Prime would resemble compared to the dog. But of course I guess you cannot purchase MC15 - you have to pick Prime to get MC15.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Tried to express that in my last sentence but I prefer seeing it as buying the dog and getting for free whatever Prime would resemble compared to the dog. But of course I guess you cannot purchase MC15 - you have to pick Prime to get MC15.

Maybe pick the lead and get the dog free?

Maybe pick the lead and get the dog free?

Hmm, but isn't a lead normally a useful and functional thing?

OK, I admit that that wasn't fair. Prime, seen on its own, sure is functional and useful, too.

But compared to old Mathcad ...

And if it even is praised and sold(!) as further development and successor of Mathcad, it equally sure can't withstand the comparison. So the better way to go would be to give it away as Beta 0.3 for test purposes and don't sell it until is competitive. Guess PTC marketing has a different view, though.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

So the better way to go would be to give it away as Beta 0.3 for test purposes and don't sell it until is competitive. Guess PTC marketing has a different view, though.

This has been discussed in the past. I'm sure you are right regarding the PTC marketing. Any sales offset against the cost of development is a benefit in the eyes of the developer.

Any sales offset against the cost of development is a benefit in the eyes of the developer.

Sure, and we equally sure won't be able to get PTC to rethink or change its attitude.

Very clever Fred, I like this.

Top Tags