cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Piecewise Linear function Error

Abdur_2063
8-Gravel

Piecewise Linear function Error

Hi,

I am new to Mathcad and face some problems. I have attached a file in which I am trying to plot the displacement using the Piecewise Linear Interpolation method of structural dynamics. I have defined all variables and put them in the loop, but when I try to plot displacement (u) versus time (t1), I get an error "this value must be a vector".

I would really appreciate it if you could help me resolve this issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Abdur_2063)

Just had a quick glance at your sheet and here are a few remarks:

Werner_E_0-1697370620495.png

I had not looked further to spot the reason for the unit mismatch and had not looked further down in the sheet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Just had a quick glance at your sheet and here are a few remarks:

Werner_E_0-1697370620495.png

I had not looked further to spot the reason for the unit mismatch and had not looked further down in the sheet.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Werner_E)

Looked further and spotted the unit mismatch. In the calculation of D1 you were missing dt.1 in the denominator.

See attached file.

I also assumed that you actually did not want u to be a function of the four arguments you provided and so I changed that , too.

Werner_E_0-1697382454099.png

Werner_E_1-1697382474495.pngWerner_E_2-1697382489664.png

Thank you very much @Werner_E. I really appreciate your quick response and solving my error. Yes, I will incorporate these changes.

Once again, thank you

Abdur

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

You're welcome.

Just an additional note: Its not necessary to apply vectorization when calculating u and u' as the calculation only deals with scalars.

Yes, I got it. 

Thanks for the help. It cleared my confusion.

Abdur

Announcements

Top Tags