cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting a Pie

wgray-disabled
1-Newbie

Plotting a Pie

This is a variation on the circle plotting subject. I'd like to plot a circle which has been divided into "N" equal pieces (much like slicing a pie). A second plot would then depict a close up of an individual slice. Does anyone have any suggestions re: how best to do this? I appreciate any help.
25 REPLIES 25

I can be done in Mathcad, but only with too much work.

Use a component instead. Either Excel or Axum. the latter are more precise, but also takes more machine power to do.

While I agree that to �Use a component instead. Either Excel or Axum� is a good way to do it, I wanted to give a way with MathCad.

PKA

Thank you very much for your help. This was exactly what I was hoping to do. I agree that the other components may be the best way to go, but I am trying to create a product that would work entirely within Mathcad without the need for other add-ins. Thanks again.

Few years ago, from the animation files, we had a continuous pie. But the maths behind were not given.

Merci Valery !

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Valery Ochkov
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov

Valery,

The worksheet seems to have been lost from this thread. Can you re-post please.

Mike

>The worksheet seems to have been lost from this thread.

Can you re-post please.<

___________________attached ___________________

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

Cheers Jean,

Much appreciated. The attached image has been taken from the "0_Pie" Mathcad file. Should the section lines run to the inside of the circle?

Also, the "0_Pie(Tom)" worksheet has red in when opened in Mathcad 14.

Mike

MIke Armstrong wrote:

Cheers Jean,

Much appreciated. The attached image has been taken from the "0_Pie" Mathcad file. Should the section lines run to the inside of the circle?

Mike

From recollection, the pie chart from Tom was created Mathcad 2000. Make sure your work sheet option is set on SI.

Sorry Mike, can't help. Jean

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

jean Giraud wrote:

From recollection, the pie chart from Tom was created Mathcad 2000. Make sure your work sheet option is set on SI.

Sorry Mike, can't help. Jean

Yep....... Worksheet is set to SI and see red.

Mike

"Yep....... Worksheet is set to SI and see red."

The problem was in the definition of one of the Point functions. I've fixed it in the attached (I don't guarantee the fix is correct!!)
Alan
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanStevens)

Alan,

The worksheet now produces several different variations, cheers. There is an error with the variable defined as "s" in the Rot.m(theta) function.

Have you any idea why the "0_Pie" worksheet posted by Jean doesn't extend to the inside of the circle. The way Valery has displayed the pie chart with multiple sections being displayed with different colours is very ascetic on the eye.

Mike

"Have you any idea why the "0_Pie" worksheet posted by Jean doesn't extend to the inside of the circle. The way Valery has displayed the pie chart with multiple sections being displayed with different colours is very ascetic on the eye."

Yes. For some reason the default scale on the radial axis is 1.005 or somesuch. Just change this to 1 (click on the plot, it's at the top right).

Alan

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanStevens)

Yes. For some reason the default scale on the radial axis is 1.005 or somesuch. Just change this to 1 (click on the plot, it's at the top right).

Cheers Alan

Image attached for clarity

Mike.

MIke Armstrong wrote:

Cheers Alan

Image attached for clarity

Mike.

From some of your image that plots ½ lines, it seems obvious that your Mathcad version defaults to ½ rad.

Jean

The worksheet now produces several different variations, cheers. There is an error with the variable defined as "s" in the Rot.m(theta) function.

Like I said above (edit - because of the way the threading works although I posted it earlier it is actually below, not above!), those functions are all obsolete. You could try and fix them, but there are a lot of function dependencies so you would have to be very careful doing it. And it's pointless anyway, because Tom already fixed them so they work in all versions. The best solution is to discard them and use the new ones.

All the plotting routines in the collapsed area are obsolete. I posted the later versions (that work in 11 and 14) recently in a reply to one of your posts. You would need to rewrite the part that plots the pie using the new routines (unfortunately, the syntax of the new routines has changed slightly, so you can just replace the old ones and have it work).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

All the plotting routines in the collapsed area are obsolete. I posted the later versions (that work in 11 and 14) recently in a reply to one of your posts. You would need to rewrite the part that plots the pie using the new routines (unfortunately, the syntax of the new routines has changed slightly, so you can just replace the old ones and have it work).

Sorry Richard I have no recollection of you posting the latter versions.

Have you any idea which thread?

Mike

Have you any idea which thread?

No, I can't find it. Here's the original post though:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/72604#72604

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Cheers Richard,

I think this was the thread you where referring to.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/148383#148383

You mentioned Tom's worksheet, but I'm pretty sure that's as far as we got.

Mike

Yes, that's the one. I obviously misremembered it a bit too. I didn't post the newer versions of the functions. Jean did, as the file "Triangle-Circle.mcd".

See one example of the Mathcad-sheet with Excel Pie-Diagram:

It is a data of water content in Russia
Valery Ochkov
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov

It's a bit late, but the attached may be of interest.

Tom Gutman

Oops -- lost the attachments

Tom Gutman
Announcements