cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Points instead of apex for the derivatives of a function.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Points instead of apex for the derivatives of a function.

Warm greetings to all,
I remember that a few years ago, a post was published asking how to write one or more points overlapping the function to be derived, instead of one or more apexes, but I can't find it, so how can I do it especially for MATHCAD 15? the difficulty lies in placing the dots on the functions, then we proceed with the prefix operators and the like.

Thank you very much.

17 REPLIES 17
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:-MFra-)

how to write one or more points overlapping the function to be derived, instead of one or more apexes

???

Can you give an example or describe in more detail what you are talking about and what any prefix operator would have to do with it?

You are not talking about showing points on the graph of a function instead using just vertical markers, aren't you?

Werner_E_1-1728126462513.png

Or are you talking about Newton's dots-notation of a derivative?

Here you would have to use Windows's character map, group after Unicode and chose the section with diacritic characters.

Use U+0307 and U+0308 for one and two dots. Not sure  how to create higher derivatives (e.g. three dots in triangle shape on top of a variable name).

Werner_E_0-1728128376279.png

In languages where umlauts (ä,ö,ü) are used (German, Turkish, ...), the use of ü can be misleading. Equally if not more problematic is the Newton notation for the first derivative of a current function i(t).

The ISO-80000-2 does not address this issue and explicitly specifies the point notation only for the first and second derivative as permissible notation if the independent variable is time. I find this restriction to the meaning of the variable as time clearly too restrictive, because this notation is generally quite common for derivatives with parameter representation.

Maybe you have this thread   Re: Dot over variable - PTC Community   in mind or the thread(s) Luc is referring to?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Sorry Werner, but I just wanted to reply but instead I clicked on accept solution. How do I uncheck "accept solution"?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@-MFra- wrote:

Sorry Werner, but I just wanted to reply but instead I clicked on accept solution. How do I uncheck "accept solution"?

Sorry, I don't know.

But  once you selected a reply as being the solution you should be able to change your mind and select another one later as being solution. Valery has used this a lot in threads he started and which often ended up with one of his own follow up replies as being the solution 🙂

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

The dots are barely visible in font size 12. Enlarging it then messes up the whole page. Isn't there a cooler way?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@-MFra- wrote:

The dots are barely visible in font size 12. Enlarging it then messes up the whole page. Isn't there a cooler way?

Yes, there was also a reason why I chose the Arial font and a lowercase letter without ascenders. 😉
It looks ugly using TimesNewRoman and a capital letter.

You may use a different style for your special variables, but I guess it does not get much better: Here Y is in style 'User 1' set to Courier New, 12 pt, while the rest is at it defaults (Times New Roman, 10 pt).

Werner_E_0-1728147403808.png

You can try to use different fonts and see if it looks better but many fonts don't support diacritic characters and will show the dots to the right of the letter and  not above it or show them not at all.

Can't think of an easy way to achieve the desired effect and I can't remember to have seen a better solution here in the forum in the past (which doesn't mean a lot as I tend to forget things quite often)..

Of course you always can use a free font editor and modify an existing font according to your wishes. You may enlarge the dots  or even add letters which already have the dots on them at the size and position you like.

That's a bit of a work to do and if you share a worksheet using non-standard fonts you would have to share the modified font as well (unless you don't t share the Mathcad sheet itself but just a pdf with embedded font).

BTW, are we talking about variable names in math regions or just text in text regions?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I was only referring to math regions. Thank you.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

You’ve got Math, string and text examples. Bargain! 😃

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:StuartBruff)

@StuartBruff wrote:

You’ve got Math, string and text examples. Bargain! 😃

Stuart

🙂

Unfortunately the display in good old Mathcad is rather unusable. Prime does a much better job here.

See yourself - six times a "Y" with two dots above it

Prime 10:

Werner_E_2-1728281164045.png

Mathcad 15:

Werner_E_1-1728281130776.png

Here MC15 with variables in 38 pt instead of the standard 10 pt

Werner_E_0-1728281086436.png

Here is the same Times New Roman in Prime 10:

Werner_E_6-1728281763583.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Marketing will be pleased! 😉

Development less so, as there is a bit of Unimath font rendering work to be done, not to mention general codepoint coverage in name symbols and strings.

Stuart

I sometimes wonder what the Unicode committee are drinking.  There seem to be significant gaps and inconsistencies in codepoints.   Why, for example, are there (AFAICT) no groups for Latin subscript and superscript characters?  Not all letters are available as such, however, and those that have sub/superscripts are scattered throughout the code base.  I understand the historical lexicographical reasons why this might be so, but surely somebody has got to thought about generalized the concept?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

I've always had problems finding the right character in the list of Unicode characters. However, I would never have thought that there could be a hidden logic in all the confusion and therefore never looked for it.
Similar to many of my boxes and drawers - if there was a logical order behind it, I would never find anything I was looking for...

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Can you post a sketch of what you mean?

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

insteadof.jpg

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Following on from Werner's comments, here's something (modified) from a Unicode worksheet that I wrote a few years ago.  It's in Mathcad Prime 10, but I think it should port to Mathcad 15.

2024 10 05 D.png

For those not familiar with diacritical characters, they effectively give an application's screen drawing code instructions to "backspace" over the preceding character and overstrike that character with the diacritical character.  Consequently, to delete the overstruck character entirely both the character and the diacritic must be deleted.

In some rendition systems, diacritics can be combined; in the triple dot case shown above, this means deleting three characters to delete the overstruck character.  Diacritics can also be confusing when moving the cursor across a character - usually, two movements are required.

NB: In Prime, To make use of a single- or double-dotted character, copy the string output, paste it into a Math Region, and delete the quotes.  To copy any of the overstruck characters to a TextBox,  copy it into the Find Box, deleted the quotes, and then copy/paste the overstruck character into the Text Box.

Stuart

The original Unicode worksheet was written in response to an Alfasoft article on this topic.  As usual, what started as a simple couple of lines of Mathcad code ended up as a multipage horror of intertwined functions as ideas and abstractions occurred to me. Unfortunately, this means the Unicode worksheet is quite complex and challenging to disentangle to give a short solution to the overstrike problem. Otherwise, I'd have posted the worksheet.

1. https://support.alfasoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003722078-How-to-add-things-on-top-of-characters-used-as-variable-names

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Having seen @Werner_E's comment about Arial font, I thought, "Why not? It's 0500 hrs, and I can't get back to sleep".   So, ...

2024 10 06 B.png

It's a shame about all of the ones that worked italicising the triple-dot, and I hate to gainsay Werner, but I find Arial's triple-dot a little bit too close to the 'a'.

I tried several other fonts, but Cambria and Times New Roman were the only roman fonts I tested that showed a triangular triple-dot.  A few others got close, but not enough to win the stuffed bear.  I had hopes for TeX Gyre ScholaX until I tried the capital 'A'.  STIX Two Math looks good - if you ignore the chimney stack effect capital A and the vertical space the font covers.

Mathcad Prime 10 worksheet attached.

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Using the capital Y as posted by @-MFra-  I guess the font does not matter as it looks undesirable. I just tested Times New Roman and Arial - here with the diaeresis (two dots) in MC15

Werner_E_0-1728208986659.png

Some fonts contain already some characters including the dots. But still not that big dots as @-MFra-  had shown.

I used your "char" in MC15 and all strings are in Times New Roman. Nonetheless some are shown without serifs even though they look 'right" in the character map app. Not sure, why

Werner_E_1-1728209187006.png

This is how it looks in the Character Map

Werner_E_3-1728209539321.png

Copied to Mathcad (Variables and Constants, both styles use Times New Roman)

Werner_E_2-1728209507897.png

Conclusion: There seems to be no really satisfying solution except to create the characters yourself with a font editor (or by chance to find a font somewhere where someone else has created the desired characters satisfactorily).

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Well, it looks to me as if you and @-MFra-  are going to be busy designing new fonts in the near future.  😈  

2024 10 06 C.png

I'm full of admiration for people who have the mental stamina to pay such consistent attention to detail.  If I can't calculate it, I tend to lose interest very rapidly and my mind goes walkabout on a squirrel hunt. 

Here are the functions I use.

2024 10 06 D.png

Plus the updated 'dot' functions and alphabet strings.

2024 10 06 E.png

Stuart

Revised version of worksheet uploaded.  This new version includes some of my, slightly modified, set of string functions.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Forgot to add ...

The extra string functions are only there to help generate the character table at the end of the worksheet, which was directly copied from my original 'Unicode' worksheet.  Not all of the string functions are necessary and most are overkill for what they do.  However, they had other uses within the original parent worksheet.  It wasn't worth the hassle of cutting the useful functions from the herd and taming them.

2024 10 06 F.png

Stuart

Announcements

Top Tags