cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Precise Visual Navigation of Large Arrays in Prime

ChrisKaswer
16-Pearl

Precise Visual Navigation of Large Arrays in Prime

I often have large arrays created by reading big .csv files. When I want to navigate through these arrays, it is often difficult to precisely locate the spot I want due to the behavior of dragging that inset dark box within the large light grey one. I've searched the forums and other sources for a keyboard navigation technique for Prime, but cannot find one. Is there a way to incrementally navigate through an array...like we used to be able to easily do in "Mathsoft" Mathcad? Maybe there is some Windows adjustment that will work, but I've already turned-down the sensitivity of my pointer and selected "Enhance pointer precision"...

5 REPLIES 5

I fear that there is no solution for your problem other than suggesting to PTC support that R&D should change this idiotic way of matrix navigation.
Looks like the programmers found a ready made toolbox, implemented it and yelled "look how cool!" like children just because its different.

Werner_E - Thanks for your thoughts...I have a feeling what you've shared is all we'll end-up getting as a reply...and I would bet you're correct about how the implementation occurred. It is a "cool" way to navigate this kind of data, but it desperately needs some kind of additional keyboard or mouse-scrolling "fine-tuning".

Edit:   I just found the link to the suggestion page that already has this idea submitted...with almost no votes!!! Let's go - please everybody jump over there and press the "vote" button!

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Ideas/Scrolling-of-long-matrices-or-vectors/idi-p/721926

Cheers!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ChrisKaswer)

No permission, unfortunately. PTC is not interested in good ideas, bug reports, or other information that could help them make their product better, when it comes from non paying users.

Success!
Luc

Hi,

I too have large vectors and matrices to look through.  I have found you can use the submatrix command to get a snapshot of a specific area rather than use the poor navigation method.

Cheers

Terry

@terryhendicott wrote:

Hi,

I too have large vectors and matrices to look through.  I have found you can use the submatrix command to get a snapshot of a specific area rather than use the poor navigation method.

Cheers

Terry

Yes, this (submatrix) and using a tiny typeface for the expression are my workarounds, too, when it comes to larger matrices.
But isn't it really poor and unacceptable that we have to resort to that kind of awkward "solutions"?

It looks like usability is not a goal in Primes development. Quite some time ago someone posted here in the forum that using Prime feels like having to type with a pair of boxing gloves on. In many respects this still applies 😞

Top Tags