cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Prime 3.0 xmcd, mcd converter

CharlesBradshaw
1-Newbie

Prime 3.0 xmcd, mcd converter

Most of my 14/15 files failed conversion. The conversion log only says "Conversion failed and Conversion aborted". Why is this?

28 REPLIES 28

Isn't there any further information about why the conversion itself failed? Something like because of collapsed regions or the like?

From my experience I can tell that its rather unusual for the conversion itself to fail. Because Prime is different from MC14/15 and has only a subset of features implemented, the converted sheets often won't run as intended, though.

The images I've posted are all I see and no indication of why the conversion failed.

Charles Bradshaw wrote:

The images I've posted are all I see and no indication of why the conversion failed.

Strange. Usually during conversion a file with the same basename as the converted file and the extension xml is created which contains information, but I think the content of that file is exactly what you see in the bottom part of the window when a conversion line is highlighted.

Does the files which don't work use collapsed regions or are they referencing other worksheets?

I notice that the file which worked is in a different subdirectory than the rest. Not sure if that means anything. As all is on your C: drive I guess you have full access rights anyway.

Are you able to post one of the files which don't work?

Otherwise I guess its time to contact PTC support.

wave_state.png

None of the files reference other worksheets and do not have collapsed section. The first file is very simple and attached.

The first file is very simple and attached.

No it isn't attached. You can attach files by chosing "use advanced editor" at the upper right hand corner of the editor window. At the end you are then offered the option to attach files. I intended to try the conversion myself, not retyping the sheet 😉

Sorry! I've never attached a file.

Hmm, the file was converted without any problems. I attach the converted file and the generated xml-file. I use a German OS but have set Prime to English via parameter - nevertheless the generated xml-file "speaks" German.

I can't think of anything which would prevent the conversion at your side, but oviously its not a problem with the file itself.

I did not think it was. I re-installed the license twice. I have no idea why it's failing.

One item: "

To convert legacy Mathcad files to PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0

MCDX format,

you must have PTC Mathcad 15.0 M010 installed. Otherwise, the converter

will not function properly. You can download PTC Mathcad 15.0 M010"

I actually have Mathcad 15.0 (M020 [MC15_M020_20121127]).

Charles Bradshaw wrote:

I did not think it was. I re-installed the license twice. I have no idea why it's failing.

I have no idea, either. I don't know how Primes converter would react if it would not have sufficient rights to write is file in the same directory as the MC14/15 file or if the disk it wants to write to has not enough free space. But given from you screen shots you are working locally and I guess you have ehough free space and also all the rights to write to the diorectories in question.

Guess you should open a support call http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenter.htm

I will but I'm going to download M030 and install it first. I will also check the permissions on the folders. However, I did try to convert files in the same folder that worked.

Thanks!

Ahh! That could be a reason. PTC usually states to use the latest MC15 release. I used MC15 M030 and Prime3 F000. On the other side I think that M030 saw light after Prime 3, so M020 should be good enough. Which MC15 did you use?

The english version. I will post the results.

Charles Bradshaw wrote:

The english version. I will post the results.

The question was about the maintainance release (F000, M005, M010, M020)

M020, which was in my previous reply. I just updated to M030 and it still does not work. I guess I will have to open a support ticket.

Charles Bradshaw wrote:

M020, which was in my previous reply.

I see. Sorry, I overlooked that.

The problem is solved. I removed MC 15 and Prime 3.0 completely and did a clean install using the "typical" settings on MC 15. The prior installation used "custom" settings, which also used a non-typical folder for the install. I believe that resulted in the Prime converter not finding the MC 15 install, even though the license manager found it with no problem.

Charles Bradshaw wrote:

The problem is solved. I removed MC 15 and Prime 3.0 completely and did a clean install using the "typical" settings on MC 15. The prior installation used "custom" settings, which also used a non-typical folder for the install. I believe that resulted in the Prime converter not finding the MC 15 install, even though the license manager found it with no problem.

Obviously one of the many computer/software effects we will never really now why it didn't work. But your theory about the converter not finding the Mathcad 15 installation would have applied to any conversion. But you wrote that you were able to convert some sheets!?

Prime30_convert.png

Here is an example!

Prime30_converted.png

This one worked!

Hello,

I am also facing the same problem I need to open 2 files. Can someone here in the forum do the conversion for me? Thank you.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6140493)

Yes please upload your worksheets.

Hi,

Sorry for making the request. My organization doesn't allow me to do that. Alternatively I have installed Mathcad 15- 30 day trial version. But when I run it it says there is a license server error and asks me to run the license setup again. I run the setup and it says successfull installation of license file. But the same error occurs the next time I run Mathcad.

Is there a way out?

Thank you.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6140493)

Are you running Prime 3.0 and Mathcad 15 on trail licenses?

Yes. I just need them for viewing some files and convert the code to another format. So, I have obtained only trial product access from my organization.

And Mathcad Prime 3.0 run fine, but Mathcad 15 is not?

Yeah. That's exactly what I'm confused about.

When you open Prime and click on the big M at the upper left, you can see in the license options the complete path to the (trial)license file. You may try to point the license manager of Mathcad 15 to this file instead of trying to get a new trial license online.

Top Tags