cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Prime 3 debug window

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Prime 3 debug window

Recently I was playing around with Prime 3 and tried to find out if there would be a keyboard shortcut for "if" on my German keyboard - there isn't. Its totally inadmissible that Prime is in Version 3 and still does not support foreign keyboards.

So I tried (quite haphazard I have to admit) various Ctrl + key and Ctrl-Shift +key combinations and suddenly a small window popped up - title something along "Prime debug window" where I would be allowed to change various things, amongst them some color schemes. I didn't pay much attention at that moment but obviously I change something as from now and i would have a light yellow cursor. While a yellow cursor isn't quite a useful thing I really would like to be able to change some colors, especially if it would be able to change the color of highlighted regions while editing, this would be VERY helpful.

The only way to get rid of the yellow cursor was to delete the config-file in the user directory.

So my questions are

1. What is the magic key combination to press to get that debug window again. I was never able to duplicate it since then
  2. Is there a full documentation of the Prime xml config file available. The standard file does not show any colors to be defined.
4 REPLIES 4

It's interesting. Try to find this key combination again and let us know .

VladimirN. wrote:

It's interesting. Try to find this key combination again and let us know .

Believe me - since I realized that I could make permanent changes of color and who knows what else, I really tried hard and spent more time with Prime than I ever wanted - unfortunately without success.

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:Werner_E)

Fascinating!

My company just know purchased its third PTC product (CreO 2.0) and it has the same illegible colour scheme in the ribbon surface as MC Prime has. This snippet of information is for the benfit of those who doubt the relevance of my observation.

The whole point of the ribbon GUI is to facilitate finding and discovery of functions and menus. Instead, these pale icons against a lightly coloured background makes it harder to read and find. We now have yellow dimensions against a light grey background on the screen. This flies in the face of any known ergonomic principl. MC Prime with its a light blue cursor on a light blue grid no better.

I wonder why such un-ergonomic colour schemes, which can't be changed for the time being, have been adopted at all - and I'm not the only one in the design department who has that opinion.

Raiko

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Raiko)

Some people at PTC seems to think that unergonomic color schemes are incredible cool.

But in a recent other thread (http://communities.ptc.com/message/238580#238580) we (again) can read how superior Prime is and while I guess that that post is provocative on purpose I nevertheless am speechless as of that much chuzpah.

Am curious if someone at PTC would be kind enough to reveal the secret about the debug window. While its sure a leftover from development debugging and not intended for custumer use, I guess it could be extremely useful for us.

Top Tags