cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Prime 4.0 crashes with eigenvecs function

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

Prime 4.0 crashes with eigenvecs function

hi all, 

i'm running a recent install of Prime 4.0 on Win 10. i'm doing a bit of matrix math. Using eignenval is fine but eigenvecs is problematic. It might solve once or twice but when i go back up to change a parameter value, the sheet tries to recalculate eigenvecs, stalls for ~10 seconds, then shuts itself off!

sheet is attached.

cheers,

blake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bsimpkins
6-Contributor
(To:bsimpkins)

SOLVED

Enabling the "multi-threading" option under calculation is causing the crashes. Disabling multi-threading stabilizes the computation.

Incidentally, this is the 2nd problem with multithreading i've found. in Prime 2.0, enabling multithreading caused sheet calculations to be carried out out of order, so some would fail because earlier calc weren't completed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I changed the values of V1 and V2 a few times and ran into no error whatsoever. Prime 4.0, Win10 64bit

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Everything is fine with me too. Maybe he needs a good antivirus (excluding free ones)

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

UPDATE

rewrote the sheet in Prime 2.0 on Win 7 machine and it runs fine (and considerably faster).

You should have stated which values you changed in which way before you ran into the error you described.

Do you still experience the same error when using your new Prime 2.0 sheet with your Prime4 installation?

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

SOLVED

Enabling the "multi-threading" option under calculation is causing the crashes. Disabling multi-threading stabilizes the computation.

Incidentally, this is the 2nd problem with multithreading i've found. in Prime 2.0, enabling multithreading caused sheet calculations to be carried out out of order, so some would fail because earlier calc weren't completed.

I see!

I can confirm that enabling multithreading produces the very same effect you described for me, too.

Bad bug, indeed!

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:Werner_E)

This is interesting.  I had to turn off multi-threading in 3.0/3.1 or it always crashed.  4.0 I've had no issues until now - but I do confirm this bug.  (win 7, 64)

speaking of bugs - does 4.0 close for anyone else if you double click the round (M) button in upper left?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:DJF)

speaking of bugs - does 4.0 close for anyone else if you double click the round (M) button in upper left?

Never tried until now, but yes, it does. Its a regular close - it asks to save the currents worksheet, etc.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:Werner_E)

Ah, so it is.  Well, it's good news I won't lose my changes.  But still a rather surprising 'feature' to have MC shutdown if I'm a little over-eager on my clicking.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:DJF)

Prime sure has some surprising features (probably in lack of more useful ones). Just think about the absolutely non-standard and awkward way they implemented viewing and scrolling in larger matrices - that slider is a pure horror!

Top Tags