cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Problem with inserting excel data in Mathcad

richardm55
7-Bedrock

Problem with inserting excel data in Mathcad

I use Mathcad 15 and when I tried to insert excel file:

1. From menu Insert and choose Data and then File Input
  2. In File Input window I choose Microsoft Excel
  3. Browsing file location and ticked use relative file path
  4. And then pressed button Later and went to another window
  5. In the field Worksheet when I opened list it was nothing there
  6. It was also nothing at field Named Range

How can I chose Worksheet from excel file when I got nothing to select?

Maybe Mathcad does not see excel file?

Any tips or advice?

Any help will be welcome.

Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Guess it was a "newer" xlsx-file.

You may try to save the Excel file to an older format  (*.xls)

But even though you can't select the worksheet name the excel data of the primary one should show up in mathcad when you assign the component to a variable.

Yes, I use newer Excel with extension xlsx. I will try with xls extension then.

What you said means that I can not use excel file as data source with more than one worksheet and if I even use it will always take primary one?

@richardm55 wrote:

Yes, I use newer Excel with extension xlsx. I will try with xls extension then.

What you said means that I can not use excel file as data source with more than one worksheet and if I even use it will always take primary one?

No, or at least I am not sure. I know that I could chose the worksheet when using an Excel sheet in older format.

I am not sure about the xlsx files - I just gave it a try after I read your question and also got a blank when it came to the point where normally could chose the sheet. In the other other hand I was trying with an Excel file consisting of just 1 sheet anyway.

I usually read in data from Excel sheets (which I do very rarely) using the READEXCEL command which gives me all the flexibility I need.

You may also think about embedding the Excel sheet using Mathcads Excel component - a method I don't like as it blows up the worksheet, makes it slower and means that the Excel sheet can't be easily changed.

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

The best method to import an excel spreadsheet to use the READEXCEL command.  This gives the most options on the spreadsheet, worksheet and cell can be selected.  I have found, importing multiple spreadsheet/worksheets is best done using a nested matrix.

Hope this helps.

The Excel component still works in MC15M050 (I still see any reason to change to Prime so I have no idea if it will work there) also with xlsx files. Just one thing you need to beawre of: Excel needs to run in the background before you connect to a sheet (or make a new). I may work without, but not in my case. My system is Lenovo x270, Windows 10 and M$ off latest updates PS It is even rare I fire up v15 despite a few fixes since v11.2 I still prefer that version.
Top Tags